Excel 2003

  1. #1
    Malcolm
    Guest

    Excel 2003

    Hi Folks,

    I use MS Office 2003 at work and none of our support people can solve
    this problem. Some people use Excel and floppy disks to store their
    weekly reports. When a person opens a file on their floppy disk and
    does their work and then saves it on the floppy all is fine. However
    the next time someone opens Excel, before Excel can open the program
    it tries to open the floppy disk for 15 or 20 second before the Excel
    will load. Sometimes it will not load and hangs up. The same terminal
    is used by many different people. I have set all the options I
    can find, such as, zero most recent documents, no automatic backup
    save. I have checked all the shortcuts to see if the "Start In"
    location is My Documents. If you open and close Excel
    three or four times and let it search the floppy the problem goes away
    until the next time someone works with a floppy. I think the answer is
    a hack in the registry somewhere but I don't know where.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Malcolm
    Later,
    Malcolm

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003

    The best approach is to copy the file to the specific XL folder using
    Windows Explorer.
    Make your revisions and calculations.
    Save, close, and do the reverse ... copy to the floppy using Windows
    Explorer.

    The *only* type of removable media that *I* have been able to actually work
    an XL file in, was a ZIP disc, where the size of the XL file was *less* then
    50% of the capacity of the ZIP.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Malcolm
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:01:19 -0700, "RagDyer" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The best approach is to copy the file to the specific XL folder using
    >Windows Explorer.
    >Make your revisions and calculations.
    >Save, close, and do the reverse ... copy to the floppy using Windows
    >Explorer.
    >
    >The *only* type of removable media that *I* have been able to actually work
    >an XL file in, was a ZIP disc, where the size of the XL file was *less* then
    >50% of the capacity of the ZIP.

    The reason for that is after you make changes on a file in MS Excel
    it makes a new file on the media then compares them and deletes the
    original file. Thus you need more than twice the space of the working
    file.

    Later,
    Malcolm