Trying to create formula to give range of stan.deviations of mean

  1. #1
    Roger
    Guest

    Trying to create formula to give range of stan.deviations of mean

    I am trying to create a formula in Excel that will give a mean, two standard
    deviations and the range on both sides of that mean.

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Trying to create formula to give range of stan.deviations of mean

    Hi Roger,

    If you really want a single formula to return those four values (one mean
    value, one value that represents two sd's, and two range values), you'll
    need to write a user-defined function using VBA, and that function will have
    to return an array of those values and be array-entered on the worksheet. If
    you intend to do that frequently, a user-defined function is worth
    considering.

    But if you will do this just occasionally, and if you're willing to enter
    four separate formulas, these would do it, assuming your raw data is in
    A1:A10:

    =AVERAGE(A1:A10)
    =2*STDEV(A1:A10)
    =ABS(AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10))
    =ABS(AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MAX(A1:A10))

    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger
    Guest

    Re: Trying to create formula to give range of stan.deviations of m

    Hi Conrad,
    Thanks for replying. I do, however, have a question. I'm not sure what these
    two formulas are yielding. I do not believe they give a range of the mean for
    data points.
    =ABS(AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10))
    > =ABS(AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MAX(A1:A10))

    Below is an example of the formulas you gave and the results of the four
    formulas. If you could explain the last two results which incorporate the
    above formulas I would appreciate it! Thanks so much!

    1 0.92
    2 1
    3 1.1
    4 1
    5 1.1
    6 1
    7 0.98
    8 0.9
    9 0.98
    10 1

    1.00 mean
    0.129 two SD
    0.098 ?
    0.102 ?

  4. #4
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Trying to create formula to give range of stan.deviations of m

    Hi Roger,

    The formulas that begin with ABS give the size of the difference
    between the mean of the values and the minimum (and the maximum) values
    in the data set. This was what I assumed you meant by "the range on
    both sides of that mean." It seems that you meant something else. Could
    you describe explicitly what you're looking for in "the range on both
    sides of that mean"? The full range of values, perhaps?

    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

  5. #5
    Mangus Pyke
    Guest

    Re: Trying to create formula to give range of stan.deviations of m

    On 17 Jul 2005 08:12:54 -0700, "Conrad Carlberg"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The formulas that begin with ABS give the size of the difference
    >between the mean of the values and the minimum (and the maximum) values
    >in the data set. This was what I assumed you meant by "the range on
    >both sides of that mean." It seems that you meant something else. Could
    >you describe explicitly what you're looking for in "the range on both
    >sides of that mean"? The full range of values, perhaps?

    ABS gives the absolute value, or distance from zero (regardless of
    whether positive or negative).

    Since you didn't quote anyone, I wasn't sure if this was an answer to
    someone else or if you were confused about the ABS function.

    MP-

    --
    "Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
    B.F. Skinner

  6. #6

    Roger wrote:
    > I'm not sure what these two formulas are yielding.
    > I do not believe they give a range of the mean for data points.
    > =ABS(AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10))
    > =ABS(AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MAX(A1:A10))

    The problem is: you are not explaining the statistics that you
    want very well.

    You wrote originally:
    > I am trying to create a formula in Excel that will give a mean,
    > two standard deviations and the range on both sides of that mean.

    Kudos to Conrad for even understanding that to mean "two times the
    standard deviation". Your subject line ("range of stan.deviations")
    left me wondering.

    Given that interpretation, I presume the range you are interested
    in is mean +/- 2*sd. That is, "a range 2 standard deviations about
    [or around] the mean".

    The low end of that range is simply:

    =AVERAGE(A1:A10) - 2*STDEV(A1:A10)

    The high end of that range is simply:

    =AVERAGE(A1:A10) + 2*STDEV(A1:A10)

    By the way, the function STDEV() assumes that A1:A10 is a sample.
    If A1:A10 compromise your entire "population", you will want to
    use STDEVP().

    If you do not know the difference between "sample" and "population"
    in the context of your data, STDEV() is the better (more conservative)
    function to use.