Problems with "hyster-grams" :-)

  1. #1

    Problems with "hyster-grams" :-)

    I some problems using histograms in Office Excel 2003
    (11.6355.6360) SP1.

    The one problem I cannot seem to work around is: the
    X-axis data "labels" are centered under the bar. I want
    the "labels" to be centered under the right-edge of the
    bar.

    (I edit change Overlap and Gap Width in Format Data Series /
    Options so that I have "fat" bars that touch each other.)

    The fact is: the X-axis "labels" are not labels at all.
    They are, in fact, the max value of the bin. ("Well, of
    course!") I want them to appear where the max value
    belongs, namely the right edge. That is the format that
    we are using in class.

    In fact, I want the X-axis values to be centered under
    the right edge, just as they are in Excel scatter plots.

    How can do that with histograms (actually "clustered
    column" charts)?

    The other problem I have worked around. But if there
    is a simpler solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

    When I enter the Input Range in the Histogram tool, I
    am not able to enter the ranges by name. If I type the
    name in the field, I get an error. When I have the
    dialog box for the field open, I cannot type into the
    name field (upper-left of the worksheet), as we normally
    can do to select a named range.

    Of course, I can simply drag the cursor to highlight
    the range. But that is a pain to do when the range is
    several hundred rows -- which is why I assigned a name
    to it in the first place.

    Is there some way to enter the Input Range by name?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Problems with "hyster-grams" :-)

    Mike Middleton shows how to make Better Histograms:

    http://www.treeplan.com/better.htm

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3

    Jon Peltier wrote:
    > Mike Middleton shows how to make Better Histograms:
    > http://www.treeplan.com/better.htm

    Good pointer. Thanks.

  4. #4

    Jon Peltier wrote:
    > Mike Middleton shows how to make Better Histograms:
    > http://www.treeplan.com/better.htm

    Although the instructions are well-written, they do not
    seem to work with Office Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1.

    I can work around one problem (Paste Special is no
    longer permitted when the chart is selected -- I use
    the custom chart type "line - column on 2 axes").

    But when I perform the actions that are intended to
    move the numeric axis from vertical to horizontal,
    Excel insists on treating the numeric axis as categories,
    centering the numeric labels again.