+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Multiple Sheets in a template

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30

    Multiple Sheets in a template

    Is it possible to have multiple worksheets in a template so when I insert this template into a new workbook all the pages will come along?

    It seems that when I try and do this all my named ranges really get messed up.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30
    I guess my question is how do named ranges work on multiple sheet templates?

    Does a named range depend on the name of the template that it is in. I have three sepearte templates that I want to combine into one template.

    When I try and insert the combined template into a worksheet, even when I rename the sheets, I get an error saying there is already a range with that name in the worksheet.

    But if I were to insert each worksheet individually each time I wanted to insert another set of 3, as long as I rename each one it works fine.

    I do not understand why the combined template does not function properly.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30
    I have worked and manipulated my sheets every way I can think of and I still get a conflict with the named ranges when I use my combined sheet.

    Has anyone every done something like this or can anyone provide a little insight into any querks about multiple sheet templates?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30
    This site loves to have massive updates at one time and bump everyone down.

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Sheets in a template

    Are the links on the sheets (template) that you're inserting into the new WB
    referring to sheet names that *already* exist in the new WB?

    --
    Regards,

    RD

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "reddog9069" <reddog9069.1sfi0f_1121796450.716@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
    in message news:reddog9069.1sfi0f_1121796450.716@excelforum-nospam.com...
    >
    > I have worked and manipulated my sheets every way I can think of and I
    > still get a conflict with the named ranges when I use my combined
    > sheet.
    >
    > Has anyone every done something like this or can anyone provide a
    > little insight into any querks about multiple sheet templates?
    >
    >
    > --
    > reddog9069
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > reddog9069's Profile:

    http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354
    >



  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30
    Hmmm, there are no links, its named ranges that are giving me the problems.

    My combined template(which is 3 individual templates that I want combined) has a few dynamic named ranges.

    The combined template is basically a subtask so I will usually have a few subtasks in each workbook.

    I can add one combined template to a new workbook without a problem, but adding the second one tells me the template I am trying to move or copy contains the named range [fill in the blank] (I get one message for each named range) and if I want to use the one already in the workbook or rename the one that is coming in. My macro is adding the subtasks so I cannot just rename each one.

    The thing I do not understand is the way I was doing it was just each subtask having to add all 3 individual templates which never gave me a named range error, but that involves a lot more error checking, hence the reason I want to make it more efficient.

  7. #7
    Dave Peterson
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Sheets in a template

    I created a template with 8 worksheets. I saved it into my template folder.

    I could rightclick on an existing worksheet tab and select Insert and point at
    that template file.

    All 8 sheets got added nicely.

    As for the range names, have you thought about using worksheet level range
    names? Then you won't have to worry about conflicts between names.

    If I'm working on 'Sheet 2', I can create a worksheet level name by:
    insert|name|define
    Names in Workbook Box:
    'Sheet 2'!myNameHere
    Refers to:
    ='Sheet 2'!$A$1
    (or whatever you want)

    Each worksheet can have their own sheet level name.

    If you work with names, do yourself a favor and get a copy of Jan Karel
    Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    reddog9069 wrote:
    >
    > Hmmm, there are no links, its named ranges that are giving me the
    > problems.
    >
    > My combined template(which is 3 individual templates that I want
    > combined) has a few dynamic named ranges.
    >
    > The combined template is basically a subtask so I will usually have a
    > few subtasks in each workbook.
    >
    > I can add one combined template to a new workbook without a problem,
    > but adding the second one tells me the template I am trying to move or
    > copy contains the named range [fill in the blank] (I get one message
    > for each named range) and if I want to use the one already in the
    > workbook or rename the one that is coming in. My macro is adding the
    > subtasks so I cannot just rename each one.
    >
    > The thing I do not understand is the way I was doing it was just each
    > subtask having to add all 3 individual templates which never gave me a
    > named range error, but that involves a lot more error checking, hence
    > the reason I want to make it more efficient.
    >
    > --
    > reddog9069
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354


    --

    Dave Peterson

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for the reply.

    I have made a template with three worksheets...no problem.
    Two of the sheets in the template, have sheet level named ranges like you said.

    So I can easily insert the template into a worksheet once, but the second time I get errors saying all the names are already in the workbook.

    Here is what I do not understand. If I have a template with a single sheet, and it has named ranges, then if I insert that template into another worksheet multiple times, the named ranges have no conflict.

    Each worksheet has individual versions of the same name, based on how I rename the worksheet.

    If you will try it with a single worksheet template and you will see how that works.

    In the meantime I will look at name manager and see if that can help me.

    Thanks

    PS-I am using Excel 2003 if that makes any difference

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-20-2005
    Posts
    30
    After a solid 8+ hours of work I finally figured out how to do this relatively simple task.

    Dave you have no idea how helpful that name manager add-in was in solving this task.

    Thank you so much.

    That name manager gives you so much information and can perform things that I have no idea how to do through just the basic insert->name->define dialog.

    For anyone who is having problems with this I can provide a pretty good explanation of the problem and the solution if you want it.

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Dave Peterson
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Sheets in a template

    I think you'll find at least one name that is not local to the sheet.

    When you fix that (or delete it), I bet you'll be set.

    Be aware that excel does create some hidden names that could be causing the
    trouble. But that NameManager addin will help you find and correct any
    problems.

    reddog9069 wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I have made a template with three worksheets...no problem.
    > Two of the sheets in the template, have sheet level named ranges like
    > you said.
    >
    > So I can easily insert the template into a worksheet once, but the
    > second time I get errors saying all the names are already in the
    > workbook.
    >
    > Here is what I do not understand. If I have a template with a single
    > sheet, and it has named ranges, then if I insert that template into
    > another worksheet multiple times, the named ranges have no conflict.
    >
    > Each worksheet has individual versions of the same name, based on how I
    > rename the worksheet.
    >
    > If you will try it with a single worksheet template and you will see
    > how that works.
    >
    > In the meantime I will look at name manager and see if that can help
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PS-I am using Excel 2003 if that makes any difference
    >
    > --
    > reddog9069
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354


    --

    Dave Peterson

  11. #11
    Dave Peterson
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Sheets in a template

    Jan Karel (and others) did a very nice work on that!

    (You should drop him a note. I know that he'd appreciate the comments.)

    reddog9069 wrote:
    >
    > After a solid 8+ hours of work I finally figured out how to do this
    > relatively simple task.
    >
    > Dave you have no idea how helpful that name manager add-in was in
    > solving this task.
    >
    > Thank you so much.
    >
    > That name manager gives you so much information and can perform things
    > that I have no idea how to do through just the basic
    > insert->name->define dialog.
    >
    > For anyone who is having problems with this I can provide a pretty good
    > explanation of the problem and the solution if you want it.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > --
    > reddog9069
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354


    --

    Dave Peterson

  12. #12
    Dave Peterson
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Sheets in a template

    Jan Karel's site:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Contact.htm



    Dave Peterson wrote:
    >
    > Jan Karel (and others) did a very nice work on that!
    >
    > (You should drop him a note. I know that he'd appreciate the comments.)
    >
    > reddog9069 wrote:
    > >
    > > After a solid 8+ hours of work I finally figured out how to do this
    > > relatively simple task.
    > >
    > > Dave you have no idea how helpful that name manager add-in was in
    > > solving this task.
    > >
    > > Thank you so much.
    > >
    > > That name manager gives you so much information and can perform things
    > > that I have no idea how to do through just the basic
    > > insert->name->define dialog.
    > >
    > > For anyone who is having problems with this I can provide a pretty good
    > > explanation of the problem and the solution if you want it.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.
    > >
    > > --
    > > reddog9069
    > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
    > > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

    >
    > --
    >
    > Dave Peterson


    --

    Dave Peterson

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 1