Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

  1. #1
    Stuart
    Guest

    Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    I have an Excel worksheet that when i print preivew indicates me printing the
    whole lot. i have hidden formuli that run right to the bottom of the sheet,
    but i only want to print up to the row that has any actual data in. how do i
    do this?

  2. #2
    garfield-n-odie
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    Select the worksheet range that you want to print, and click on
    File | Print Area | Set Print Area.

  3. #3
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    Problem with that is, it has to be set again each time i add new data, which
    i do a lot?
    anyway for it to be done automatically?

  4. #4
    garfield-n-odie
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    Not that I know of, but wait around a bit and someone else here
    might chime in. I don't think Excel will automatically know the
    difference between actual data and hidden formuli on a worksheet.
    You might try restructuring the spreadsheet so that the data
    are on one sheet, and the hidden formuli on another sheet, and
    then Excel should know where the end of the data sheet is.

  5. #5

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    Can you pick out a column that always has data if that row is used?

    If you can, then maybe this old post will help you (I used column A):

    Insert|Name|Define
    Names in workbook: Sheet1!LastRow
    Use this formula
    Refers to: =LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000<>""),ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000))

    (Make that 1000 big enough to extend past the last possible row.)

    Then once more:
    Insert|Name|Define
    Names in workbook: Sheet1!Print_Area
    Use this formula
    Refers to: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,lastRow,3)

    That last 3 represents the last column to print (A:C in my example).

    And change the worksheet (sheet1) if necessary (in all the places).

  6. #6
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    I have tried that but unfortunatly it doesnt change anything. Garfield
    suggested restructuring the spreadsheet. how do i do what he suggests?

  7. #7

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    Maybe Garfield will reply to what he meant.

    But what do Hidden formulas mean?

    I assumed they evaluated to "" if a cell is empty.

    =if(a23232="","",vlookup(...))

    If I'm close, are you sure your formulas evaluate to "" (not " "--with that
    extra space character).

    ----
    This technique has worked for me in similar situations.

  8. #8
    garfield-n-odie
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel print the whole worksheet?

    Having never seen your Excel file, and not knowing what your
    hidden formuli do or why they are hidden to begin with, I can't
    offer a specific suggestion as to how you might go about
    restructuring your Excel file. But I was thinking that there
    might be a way for you to put all of the data on one sheet, and
    to put all of the formuli on another sheet. Then you can add new
    data to the data sheet as often as you wish, and Excel will know
    what the last used cell is on the data sheet when you go to print
    the data.