IE Temp Names and Excel

  1. #1

    IE Temp Names and Excel

    I use a web-based application that generates CSV files. When I open
    these from Internet Explorer they are automatically loaded into Excel
    (2003). However after a few minutes I always get an auto save error.
    The reason is that the filename created by IE will include something
    such as [1].csv at the end of the filename. Excel does not consider
    these valid characters and so gives an error when it attempts to
    autosave (but oddly, obviously can open files with such a name OK).

    It seems odd to me that IE creates a filename that Excel says is
    invalid. Is there a solution to this (other than disabling autosave in
    Excel)?

  2. #2

    Re: IE Temp Names and Excel

    Save to your harddrive, rename if necessary and then open from there???

  3. #3

    Re: IE Temp Names and Excel

    > Save to your harddrive, rename if necessary and then open from there???

    Well yes that would work, but then I'd need to remember to delete the
    files afterwards (which is not the case when doing open, as they end up
    in a temporary area). I find it odd that IE changes the name from that
    on the website (by adding [1] or [2] etc.) when Excel (written by the
    same company) says that [ and ] are not valid characters for a filename.