Getting External Data with Saved Query

  1. #1
    Festus Bola Ademorijimi
    Guest

    Getting External Data with Saved Query

    Folks,
    I am using an excel 2000, and I set up the Microsoft's saved web query
    "Microsoft Investor Stock Quotes.iqy" which ran smoothly, and I was able to
    refresh the data on my worksheet until some months ago when it stopped
    working. I have tried setting up a new one that still would not work.
    Any idea how to get this working again? I have tried rebooting my machine,
    still no luck.
    Here is the message which I am getting each time I tried to refresh the
    query: Unable to open
    http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...asp?symbol=LU+ Cannot download
    the information you requested"
    Note-LU is the symbol of the stock which I set up

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Getting External Data with Saved Query

    That URL doesn't work as a hyperlink or when used in the IE address bar, so
    the problem is not with Excel or the import feature.

    My guess is that the site has been modified and maybe in such a way as to
    prevent downloading of data.

    Have you tried recreating the query and navigating to the current page?

    Good Luck |:>)

  3. #3
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Getting External Data with Saved Query

    BTW-

    The site _has_ been totally reconstructed. Here's your new URL;

    http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/s...uote?Symbol=lu

    and Lucent is up .07

    Regards|:>)

  4. #4
    Festus Bola Ademorijimi
    Guest

    RE: Getting External Data with Saved Query

    Hello Taz,
    Thanks for the info. I tried the URL and the new message which I am getting
    is "unable to open http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/s...uote?Symbol=lu.
    The Internet site report that a connection was established but the data is
    not available"
    I have tried using another stock symbol, but I am getting the same new error
    message"

  5. #5
    Stephen Sander
    Guest

    Re: Getting External Data with Saved Query

    I had the same problem. Uuse this link instead of the MSN site (which
    appears to have been changed to "lock out" external queries:

    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=["QUOTE0","Enter stock, fund or
    other MS Investor symbols separated by commas."]

    This is the Yahoo site...works well for me, but you'll have to update
    your cell references, since it places the data in different cells.

    Steve Sander