Average

  1. #1
    ynissel
    Guest

    Average

    Is there a function to average a series of numbers but dropping the lowest ?
    Thanks,
    Yosef

  2. #2
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: Average

    This is working after a couple of simple tests:
    =AVERAGE(IF(D1:D6>MIN(D1:D6),D1:D6))
    Use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to input this formula. It will return #VALUE if you
    only press enter.
    --
    tj

  3. #3
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Take a look at the function TrimMean - refer to in-built help for syntax.
    It does the same as average, but gives you the ability to set what % of
    "extreme" values to ignore.
    This may not suit your purpose if you only want to omit the one lowest
    value, but worth a look anyway.

    Rgds,
    ScottO

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    ynissel
    Guest

    RE: Average

    Wow - I cant believe that worked - but I dont understand the formula. CAn
    you try to explain ?
    Thanks,
    Yosef

  5. #5
    ynissel
    Guest

    Re: Average

    That works but ecludes the top and bottom %. Ie if you have 4 values - it
    will only average the middle two if you use 25% trim.

    But thanks for the try !

  6. #6
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: Average

    It compares each value to the minimum value in the range.
    Values not greater than the minimum are ignored.
    I meant to mention that the formula will return #DIV/0 if all the numbers in
    the range are the same.

    This article will explain it. Also, try a web search for Array Formulas in
    Excel.
    tj

  7. #7
    ynissel
    Guest

    RE: Average

    Thanks this helps a lot - one more follow up.
    My range isnt in an order. My current formula is
    =AVERAGE(VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125)/100,EMC30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Nomura30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),UBS30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Winter30,2,0))
    Where is is looking up rates in 4 different sheets and averaging. As Im not
    too familiar with Arrays (until I read the article) will it work and can you
    show me how ?
    Thanks,
    Yosef

  8. #8
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: Average

    I don't think I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Could you try
    to explain exactly what you are doing?

    What do you mean "looking up rates in 4 different sheets?" Are EMC30,
    Nomura30, etc. Named Ranges?
    --
    tj

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =AVERAGE(LARGE(VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125)/100,EMC30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Nomura30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),UBS30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Winter30,2,0),{1,2,3}))

    Biff

  10. #10
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Average

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:49:03 -0700, "ynissel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there a function to average a series of numbers but dropping the lowest ?
    >Thanks,
    >Yosef

    The array formula posted previously will drop ALL of the lowest numbers. So if
    you have a range containing the numbers

    that formula will average the 3, 4, and 5 giving a result of 4.

    If you only want to drop ONE of the lowest numbers, then use the array formula:

    =AVERAGE(LARGE(rng,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT(rng)-1))))

    --ron

  11. #11
    ynissel
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Im getting an error and I cant figure out where the syntax is wrong.

  12. #12
    ynissel
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Wow - this is getting more and more complicated. the lowest numbers may be
    the same and you are correct I wouldnt want to drop them both. But as the
    range I am averaging is in different sheets and a lookup function.
    Can you get this to work in that context ?
    My current formula is
    =AVERAGE(VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125)/100,EMC30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Nomura30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),UBS30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Winter30,2,0))

    Where A3 is an interest rate (i.e 6%) and the lookups are interest rate in
    column 1 and price in column 2. So Im trying to get the average of the 4
    prices but drop the lowest one.

    BTW - I tried yours with a simple range and it only returned the highest
    number ?

    Thanks !
    Yosef

  13. #13
    ynissel
    Guest

    RE: Average

    FYI - I just wrote this out in my explanation to Biff, I know Im not supposed
    to post 2X but since you asked...
    Im trying to find the average of 4 prices while droping the lowest. The
    kicker is that the 4 numbers are lookups.
    My formula is :
    =AVERAGE(VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125)/100,EMC30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Nomura30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),UBS30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Winter30,2,0))
    Where A3 is an interest rate (i.e. 6%) and the lookups are column 1 is
    interest rate and column 2 is price.
    Thanks,
    Yosef

  14. #14
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Average

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:08:04 -0700, "ynissel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wow - this is getting more and more complicated. the lowest numbers may be
    >the same and you are correct I wouldnt want to drop them both. But as the
    >range I am averaging is in different sheets and a lookup function.
    >Can you get this to work in that context ?
    >My current formula is
    >=AVERAGE(VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125)/100,EMC30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Nomura30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),UBS30,2,0),VLOOKUP(MROUND(A3,0.125),Winter30,2,0))

    I don't have time to test more complicated methods, but a simple method would
    be to put your four VLOOKUP formulas into a contiguous range on the same sheet,
    and then use that range for the rng in the formula I suggested.

    >Where A3 is an interest rate (i.e 6%) and the lookups are interest rate in
    >column 1 and price in column 2. So Im trying to get the average of the 4
    >prices but drop the lowest one.

    If you will always be looking at four items, you can simplify the formula I
    provided to:

    =AVERAGE(LARGE(rng,{1,2,3}))

    >BTW - I tried yours with a simple range and it only returned the highest
    >number ?

    That is because you overlooked my statement that that formula is an array
    formula. To enter an array formula, you must hold down <ctrl><shift> while
    hitting <enter>. Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

    The formula I posted in THIS message does not require that.

    --ron

  15. #15
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Hi!

    =(SUM(VLOOKUP_1,VLOOKUP_2,VLOOKUP_3,VLOOKUP_4)-MIN(VLOOKUP_1,VLOOKUP_2,VLOOKUP_3,VLOOKUP_4))/3

    OR, use 4 cells for the individual lookups then:

    =AVERAGE(LARGE(A1:A4,{1,2,3}))

    Biff

  16. #16
    ynissel
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Is it safe to say that the array wont work with a bunch of lookups imbeded in
    it ?
    The reason Im pushing it is that my forulah got a little more complicated
    and I need to use it on a bunch of items - so a lookup would be great - if
    not Ill have to do it one of your other ways.
    Thanks again for all your help !
    Yosef

  17. #17
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Average

    > Is it safe to say that the array wont work with a bunch of lookups imbeded
    > in
    > it ?

    Yes. I don't know what I was thinking on that first attempt I made! Doh!

    I don't know of a way to pass an array of lookups to the Large function as
    the array argument. Maybe Ron knows a way. He's pretty good!

    If you need to add even more lookups I think I would opt for the
    intermediate individual lookups than the Average/Large vs the long
    Sum-Min/n.

    Biff

  18. #18
    ynissel
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Biff - Thanks - How do I forward to Ron to see if he knows. I did 1/2 of it
    with pulling the lookups and then the function - but the other 1/2 is like a
    2 dimentianal table - so I ll have to do like 500 seperate lookups !!

  19. #19
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Average

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:26:02 -0700, "ynissel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Biff - Thanks - How do I forward to Ron to see if he knows. I did 1/2 of it
    >with pulling the lookups and then the function - but the other 1/2 is like a
    >2 dimentianal table - so I ll have to do like 500 seperate lookups !!

    When you posted your AVERAGE formula containing the multiple lookups about four
    messages ago, I was not able to devise a method of converting the series of
    lookup results into an array for the LARGE function to act upon, without either
    putting the lookups into a contiguous range; or using VBA.

    That is why I suggested putting the LOOKUPS into a contiguous range.

    I don't understand enough about the parameters of your problem to advise
    regarding the "500 separate lookups". If you post back more info soon, I might
    be able to take a look at it, but I'll be away for about three weeks starting
    tomorrow, so if you don't see a response in the next 24 hours ...

    Best,

    --ron

  20. #20
    ynissel
    Guest

    Re: Average

    Ron - I guess I missed you. Enjoy - I hope it vacation !

    For anyone else that reads this - I have a table of 9 columns and about 30
    rows. I have 5 different companies that fill these ranges with prices and I
    want the average price - but dropping the lowest.

  21. #21
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Average

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:47:06 -0700, "ynissel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ron - I guess I missed you. Enjoy - I hope it vacation !
    >
    >For anyone else that reads this - I have a table of 9 columns and about 30
    >rows. I have 5 different companies that fill these ranges with prices and I
    >want the average price - but dropping the lowest.

    I'm back. And I did have a good time, thank you.

    If you have not solved your problem yet, we can try some more.

    What's in each row and column?

    Do you need to average by rows? by columns? or by some other determinant?

    --ron

  22. #22

    Re: Average

    ynissel wrote:
    > For anyone else that reads this - I have a table of 9 columns and about 30
    > rows. I have 5 different companies that fill these ranges with prices and
    > I want the average price - but dropping the lowest.

    I did not follow the entire thread, but based on the summary above,
    is there some reason why the following does not satisfy your needs:

    =(SUM(A1:I30)-MIN(A1:I30))/(COUNT(A1:I30)-1)

    Caveat: This drops only __one__ instance of the lowest value.
    If your intent is to drop __all__ instances of the lowest value,
    the above does not meet your needs.