the field will only show:How do I use variables in Excel?

  1. #1
    XUT67
    Guest

    Dave O Wrote:
    > Click Insert Name Define and a window appears. Type your variable
    > name in the top and mouse click the appropriate cell.

    Ok, I got it done but now I'm trying to save it as a csv file without
    saving the coulmn that has the references.

    So I looked online and found out about referencing from another
    worksheet.
    Example:

    =(Sheet2!A1:A8)

    The problem is, the field will only show A1.

    It seems that I need to add a math function:

    =SUM(Sheet2!A1:A8)

    In order for it to work. But I don't need math, I just need to text.
    How do you reference a range of text from a different worksheet?

    Thanks!

    --
    XUT67

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    re: the field will only show:How do I use variables in Excel?

    Not sure I'm clear on the issue, but since nobody has responded I'll give it
    a shot. Post back with more info if this doesn't hit the mark.

    When you create the link (=Sheet2!A1:A8), the entire content of all 8 cells
    *does not* get entered into the *one* cell containing the formula. On the
    sheet where you created the link formula you need to drag the fill handle
    (small nub at lower right corner of cell selector) right as many columns as
    the data occupies on the source sheet (& then down as many rows as the data
    occupies on the source sheet if more than one record) to display all the
    data. The only content that gets copied out to your csv is what is displayed
    on your sheet when you create the file.

    FWIW, when I do something like this I usually just use =Sheet1!A1 as my
    formula & then use the fill handle to copy it over & down to the necessary
    number of columns & rows.

    HTH |:>)