problems with sumif and countif

  1. #1
    Simon Shaw
    Guest

    problems with sumif and countif

    Hi,

    i have a column that joins a series of other columns to creat a unque key
    for a table data I have in a sheet. when I then use sumif or countif against
    the concatenated column it says there is more than one the same and the sumif
    produces the same total for a number of lines. visually looking at the unique
    key column, I can clearly see they are different.

    ideas?

    Simon Shaw

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: problems with sumif and countif

    Are you sure the formula is updating?
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Simon Shaw
    Guest

    Re: problems with sumif and countif

    yes the calculation is updating... I hit F9 to be sure.

    I also have used the advanced filter for unque values and the two lists are
    the same length indicating it is a true unique key.

  4. #4
    Simon Shaw
    Guest

    RE: problems with sumif and countif

    The concatenated column is 16 characters long, it appears to only be using 14
    characters... is this possible?

  5. #5

    Re: problems with sumif and countif

    If I put this in A1:A5,

    simon*
    simon2
    simon3
    simon4
    simon5

    And then this in A1:
    =countif(a1:a5,a1)

    I get 5.

    Does your data contain wildcards (asterisk/question mark, */?)?

    (If I understood the question???)

  6. #6
    Simon Shaw
    Guest

    Re: problems with sumif and countif

    no, no special characters, just numbers.

    when I reduced the unique key to 13 characters it worked for both countif
    and sumif... is there a limit to the length of the match criteria?

    simon

  7. #7

    Re: problems with sumif and countif

    You may want to post your formula and a snippet of data that makes the formula
    look incorrect.