(v)lookup part of text in cell

  1. #1
    Ted
    Guest

    (v)lookup part of text in cell

    Hi.

    Can anybody solve this problem in excel?
    I want to lookup a part of a word in cells fa searching for john and get a
    "responce" like this:

    Johndoe | yes
    john,doe | yes
    doejoHn | yes
    samual |
    Johnace | yes
    pete |

    I was thinking it could be possible with using wildcards in the vlookup
    function, but I don' t know how. It would be nice if capitals are ignored.

    Tia
    Ted

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: (v)lookup part of text in cell

    Hi,

    yes, you can use wildcards with vlookup:

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP("*john*",A1,1,0),"","yes")

    or you can do this:

    =CHOOSE(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("john",A1)+1,"yes","")

    or:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("john",A1),"yes","")

    or:

    =--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("john",A1)
    and then format cell using the following custom style: [=0]"";"yes"

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: (v)lookup part of text in cell

    Try this:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH("*john*",A1,0)),"","Yes")

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4