Dynamic charting

  1. #1

    Dynamic charting

    I have a sheet that produces a chart for performance on a daily basis over a month.

    I produce a chart to show the day and have to change the data range every day as I don't want all days that have not yet occurred to show as 0. Is the any way to limit the appearance on the graph to days that have occured...

    Thanks

    Tom

  2. #2
    Andrea Jones
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic charting

    Use an If function on the column of values you are plotting so that if there
    is a result the answer is shown, if not the cell shows #N/A, e.g. if I had a
    column A containing dates and column B containing Amounts I could create a
    formula in column C:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(B2),B2*1,NA())

    If column B contains a number (the day has a value as it has been passed)
    then this formula will return that value (or anything else you want to
    calculate from it), otherwise it will show the value #N/A in the cell. Create
    your chart using the whole date range that you will want to cover. Now click
    on Tools -> Options and under Chart set empty cells as 'Not plotted (leave
    gaps)'. The #N/A values will not appear on your chart but the line should
    extend as you enter values day by day.

    Andrea Jones
    http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
    http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
    http://www.allaboutclait.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic charting

    You can make the whole chart more dynamic, only showing dates where
    there are values. Here are a few examples and a lot of links:

    Note: The #N/A is independent of the 'Not Plotted' blank cell charting
    option. If there is any text in the cell, even a space or a formula that
    returns "", it is no longer a blank cell, and Excel will try to plot it
    as a zero. Using #N/A or NA() is a workaround that interpolates over a
    point in a line or scatter chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP