How can I view files chronologically when opening multiple files

  1. #1
    Stevilsize
    Guest

    How can I view files chronologically when opening multiple files

    I often open multiple invoices for the same account, and I want to view them
    beginning from the oldest to the most current. However, Excel situates them
    in reverse order such that when I close one or do "ctrl tab" to step to the
    next file it always steps to the newest file. I would prefer the "stepping"
    begin and proceed with the oldest files.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: How can I view files chronologically when opening multiple files

    I don't know that we have any control over the order Excel opens workbooks
    or stacks their windows. You can press Ctrl-Shift-Tab to go in the reverse
    order though.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: How can I view files chronologically when opening multiple files

    This is when you're doing File|Open?

    If yes, you can show details (under the Views icon).

    And in detail mode, you can click on the header (date modified) and sort in
    ascending order. If you click again, it toggles to descending.

    And if your filenames for that account always begin with the same characters
    (account name???), you can use that, too.

    Say this account always starts with Stevil_somethingelsethatchangeshere.xls.

    Just type:
    stevil*.xls

    in that file name box and you'll only see those accounts.

    (You can even use: *something*.xls if that something is in the name
    somewhere.)

  4. #4
    Stevilsize
    Guest

    RE: How can I view files chronologically when opening multiple files

    I figured it out on my own. By reversing the chonology in the "open" box, it
    also reverses the order that files are then "stepped" through using the
    "ctrl-tab" combo. It also steps in that direction when files are individually
    closed.

    Thanks to those who tried to help.