Need help with yes/no and tallys

  1. #1

    Need help with yes/no and tallys

    I have a form that will beused by many users and I want the form to tally either yes or no check boxes or buttons. What would be the best method to use that would give me a total talley at the bottom of the sheet?

    I have tried using various tools in the control toolbox and have created some very nice check boxes or buttons, but alas I can not get any of them to total up.

    Please help!

  2. #2

    Re: Need help with yes/no and tallys

    If you assign a different linked cell to each checkbox (I'd put them all in one
    column and hide that column), you could use:

    =countif(a1:a99,true)

    to count the number checked.

  3. #3
    I hate to ask as it seems like a stupid question but...

    How do I link a cell to it? I tried going into properties and linking a cell a few rows over and it just marks the box and then doesn't count anything - the cell seems to be empty and the =countif formula doesn't count anything. Should I not be using a control toolbox "check box"? Is there a solution that would be better.

    I just need to have a "yes" or "no" next to a question and have the results totaled...

    Thank you again for your help, I wish I could just barrow your mind for a few minutes so that it would all make sense...

  4. #4

    Re: Need help with yes/no and tallys

    It sounds like you linked the cell ok.

    Make sure you leave the design mode (that icon on the control toolbox toolbar).

    Then check a few of the boxes to see what happens. You should the linked cell
    toggle between True and False (checked and unchecked).