In a yes or no situation how do I choose a sample size

  1. #1
    Stat Challenged
    Guest

    In a yes or no situation how do I choose a sample size

    I am testing inventory records for accuracy. How many records do I have to
    test before I can say with 98 % confidence that the sample results are the
    same as the total would be had I tested them all?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The literal answer should be 98%, however you can perhaps improve your chances by applying a feasibility test, ie, if opening + purchases - sales (= closing) is less than 10% of a months sales, or is more than 20% of a months sales then perform your check on those items.

    The standard run-of-the-mill items can usually survive with a minimal check, but in either case the number of items to be checked should be increased for each error found.

  3. #3
    Stat Challenged
    Guest

    Re: In a yes or no situation how do I choose a sample size

    Bryan-
    Thanks for your suggestion.

    I guess I am thinking of the problem more like a process with an expected
    value and a deviation of either 0 or 1. I was thinking in terms of
    statistical quality control there must be a formula that would allow me to
    make inferences about the universe which is finite from a less than 100%
    sample.

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,827
    Based on information in my intro to statistics textbook (I'm not a professional statistician), there are ways of determining sample size for a given confidence limit like you want to do. Exact formulas depend on what type of data you have ("continuous" data or binomial data).

    Assuming my stat textbook is representative of all intro to stat texts, you should be able to look this up in a textbook.