protection, formulas and sharing with dummies

  1. #1
    Rob
    Guest

    protection, formulas and sharing with dummies

    I am having a protection problem and have tried the unlock and hide solutions
    without success...

    I have a workbook I am sharing with co workers. Many of the cells have
    formulas in them that change cell contents based on inputs. Not all the data
    is availabel at once and the workbook is meant to be a "tracker" type that
    provids alerts when days have passed etc, based on formulas and conditional
    formatting values.

    I need to make it idiot proof, ie. when someone type a number into the
    wrong cell (say one that should have remained empty) by mistake, then tries
    to delete the error the cell is now empty... sans formula and the rest of the
    row no longer has the useful interactive "tracker" features.... maybe there
    is no way to prevent this, or is there??

    Can anyone help with this? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: protection, formulas and sharing with dummies

    protect those cells

    Select the whole sheet
    Goto Format>Cells>Protect and uncheck the locked box
    Select those target cells
    Goto Format>Cells>Protect and check the locked box
    Protect the sheet - Tools>Protect>worksheet
    OK

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...