data validation - Drop Down Lists

  1. #1
    Annie
    Guest

    data validation - Drop Down Lists

    I have set up a drop down in my first column lsiting 10 company departments.
    In the second column I would like a drop down showing the employees for the
    specific department selected in the first column.

    I have looked at the info on the Contextures site, and I am certain I need
    to do a Dynamic list since employees can change, but I I am still confused.
    I would appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    GallanH
    Guest

    RE: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    create a single column look up table for the company departments, and a
    double column table for employees, showing the department in the first column
    and the employees names in the second giving each table a name. To select the
    department; using data validation, select from allow 'list' and in the source
    type =department_list_name. For your second look up, again select list and in
    the source, type =(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(x,employyee_list_name,2,FALSE)) where x
    is the cell reference of the result of the department lookup. This will then
    only give the employees applicable to the selected department. The employee
    list can be changed whenever the need arises. Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    Did you try the instructions for dynamic lists?

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html#Dynamic

    If so, where are you getting confused?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4
    Annie
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    Yes, I have followed the infor for Dynamic Lists. I have my first drop down
    for Departments (A1:A10) and I have named several columns (F,J,H,I) with
    employees listed. I do not think I am entering the formula correctly.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    The first cell in each column of employee names should be named for the
    department. For example, cell F1 might be named "Accounting"

    Each column of employee names should be named Dept&Col. For example,
    column F would be AccountingCol

    Then, in the dependent validation, you refer to the cell with the
    department name (cell E2 in this example):

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT($E2),0,0,COUNTA(INDIRECT($E2&"Col")),1)

    If your deparment names contain spaces, or some other characters, you'd
    have to adjust the names and formulas.

  6. #6
    Annie
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    Thank You for the help. I am still doing something wrong.

    Column A has the drop-down for my departments.

    I entered employee names in columns F, G, H.
    I named the first line of each column the same as their department in the
    drop down list and I named the columns Accountingcol, Transportationcol,
    Purchasingcol.

    Column B is where I want to see the drop down for my employee lists.
    (highlight column B, Data>Valadation>List>Refer to:

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(
    AT THIS POINT I AM NOT CERTAIN IF I SHOULD CLICK ON COLUMN A OR CLICK ON
    CELL A-1 OF THE DEPARTMENT DROP DOWN LIST?

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(???),0,0,COUNTA(INDIRECT(
    AT THIS POINT, I AM NOT CERTAIN WHICH FIELD TO CLICK?

    &"COL"
    I AM NOT CERTAIN WHAT TO ENTER AT THIS POINT. (NOTHING I ENTER IS CORRECT)

    THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    In both places in your formula, you should refer to cell A1, which
    contains the department name.

  8. #8
    Annie
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    Thank you for being so patient and helpful! My formula is still not correct -
    I think iI may be the "Col" info I am entering. rong.

    Column A - Drop Down allowing you to select the Department Name (A1 would be
    the cell to use in the formula)

    Column F - Named AccountingCol (F1 Accounting)
    Column G - Named PurchasingCol (G1 Purchasing)
    Column H - Named TransportaionCol (H1 Transportation)

    =OFFSEET(INDIRECT(A1),0,0,COUNTA(INDIRECT(A1&?????

    Am I entering this correctly to this point? What do I enter to indicate the
    Columns?

    Again, Thank You for being so helpful & patient!

    Annie

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation - Drop Down Lists

    You're welcome, and thanks for providing more information. Based on what
    you've described, the formula would be:

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT($A1),0,0,COUNTA(INDIRECT($A1&"Col")),1)

    If you select Accounting from the dropdown in cell A1, the formula above
    would be interpreted as:

    =OFFSET(Accounting,0,0,COUNTA(AccountingCol),1)