date of last attendance?

  1. #1
    tannersnonni
    Guest

    date of last attendance?

    I have an attendance spreadsheet. I am not really great at excel !

    I need to show the last date they entered attendance by posting a P for
    present in the column set for the specific date.

    Names of Students in Col A9:B100
    Dates of Classes in Row D7 to BC7
    (this is formated as a simple number so I
    can count the number of total times attended - it was the only way I could
    figure it out)

    The student enters a "P" in the column below the date in the row with their
    name. I need to know at any given time which was the last date they entered
    a "P".
    I have tried many ways to look this up here and can't find it. I will
    appreciate any help anyone can give me. Please give complete intructions as
    I don't understand code very well. I am pretty good at functions.
    Thanks everyone!
    maureen

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: date of last attendance?

    One try ..

    With:
    > Dates of Classes in Row D7 to BC7

    Assume col C is empty in your set-up

    Put in C7 and array-enter (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

    =INDEX($D$7:$BC$7,,MAX((D8:BC8="P")*(COLUMN($D$7:$BC$7)))-3)

    Copy C7 down

    Col C will return the rightmost "dates" in D7 to BC7
    for which a "P" was entered by the student, i.e.
    " .. which was the last date they entered a "P" .. "
    ("last date" = rightmost)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: date of last attendance?

    Typos, sorry:

    C7 should read as C8 in these 2 lines:

    > Put in C7 and array-enter (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
    > Copy C7 down

    To complete the look, put a label: "Last Present" in C1,
    and format C8 down as per format for the "dates" in D7:BC7
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: date of last attendance?

    > .. put a label: "Last Present" in C1,

    C1 should read as: C7

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    tannersnonni
    Guest

    Re: date of last attendance?

    Yipee!! I got it to work! Thank you so much! It took a day or two for me
    to figure out the specifics for my program but I finally got it to work.
    Your recommendation worked perfectly.
    Thanks.
    maureen

  6. #6