shade alternating rows in excel

  1. #1
    Matt8301
    Guest

    shade alternating rows in excel

    how do i shade alternating rows in excel without going through one by one?
    thanks

  2. #2
    JOn K via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Matt8301 wrote:
    >how do i shade alternating rows in excel without going through one by one?
    >thanks

    Conditional Formatting will take care of this problem

    1) Select your data/range of cells

    2) Format > Conditional Formatting

    3) Condition 1 > Formula Is > =MOD(ROW(),2)=1, and choose you
    formatting

    4) Condition 2 > Formula Is > =MOD(ROW(),2)=0, and choose you
    formatting
    5) Click Ok

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Matt, use conditional formatting

    Select the range you want to format. Format > Conditional Formatting. In the
    left dropdown, change ""Cell Value is"" to ""Formula Is"". In the formula
    box type. =MOD(ROW(),2)=0 Click the ""Format..."" button. Click the
    Patterns tab and pick a color.
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Huntsville, AL
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Hi, how would I shade every 4 rows in Excel? I tried =MOD(ROW(8),4)=1 but I'm getting a formula error message.
    See desired result below. Thanks!

    SHADE_ROWS.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by behmen; 12-18-2018 at 09:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert
    Netherlands
    MS-Off Ver
    office 365
    Posts
    3,256

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Try this FO formula:
    Willem
    English is not my native language sorry for errors
    Please correct me if I'm completely wrong

  6. #6
    Huntsville, AL
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    I'm still getting the formula error message. I also want to start the shading with Row 2, does the formula account for that?

    Different question: I tried to remove the 2nd screenshot as it was not the cropped version of my workbook. How do I remove that from the post? I've tried "Edit Post > Go Advanced > Manage Attachments" but don't see the image or an option to remove.

  7. #7
    Forum Expert CK76's Avatar
    ONT, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365 ProPlus
    Posts
    5,855

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Replace ";" with ",".

    Edit: If starting from row 2. Just start your CF from row 2 (using same formula).
    Last edited by CK76; 12-18-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    ?Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.?
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #8
    Huntsville, AL
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Perfect, yes! Thank you both!

  9. #9
    Forum Moderator AliGW's Avatar
    Retired in Ipswich, Suffolk, but grew up in Sawley, Derbyshire (England)
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365 Subscription Insider Beta Channel v. 2404 (Windows 11 22H2 64-bit)
    Posts
    79,369

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Behmen - in future, please do not hijack old threads. Instead, start your own. Thanks.
    Ali

    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel who's always learning!
    Don't forget to say "thank you" in your thread to anyone who has offered you help.
    You can reward them by clicking on * Add Reputation below their user name on the left, if you wish.

    Forum Rules (updated August 2023): please read them here.

  10. #10
    Huntsville, AL
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    Ok, sorry, didn't know whether to add on to a subject or create a new one.

  11. #11
    Forum Moderator AliGW's Avatar
    Retired in Ipswich, Suffolk, but grew up in Sawley, Derbyshire (England)
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365 Subscription Insider Beta Channel v. 2404 (Windows 11 22H2 64-bit)
    Posts
    79,369

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    You should have created a new one, but could have linked back to this thread. Too late now this time, but please remember for the future.

  12. #12
    Forum Guru Pete_UK's Avatar
    Warrington, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2019 (still learning)
    Posts
    24,604

    Re: shade alternating rows in excel

    And especially, don't hijack a thread which is 13 years old.

    Pete

Tags for this Thread