save to same file as opened

  1. #1
    dmtech
    Guest

    save to same file as opened

    Using Excel97. when my user opens a file, makes changes and then clicks the
    save icon, it used to save the changes to the file that was originally
    opened, now it brings up a save as dialog box, adds a 1,2,3.... to the
    filename and saves it in the default folder instead of where it came from.
    How do I put it back to the way it was
    --
    dmtech

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: save to same file as opened

    1,2,3? Sounds like the file was saved as a template. Are you sure the file
    name is XLS and not XLT?
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    dmtech
    Guest

    Re: save to same file as opened

    I just re-checked to make sure of the extension, it is definitly xls. The
    filename is the current month and day as 5-29 for today when you click on the
    save icon you get a Save as box with a filename of 5-291 with an extension of
    xls with the default folder selected instead of the folder where the file
    came from. Prior to this week, when you click on the save icon it just saved
    the file over the original. This system is used by several people, on
    different shifts, week-end shifts, and fill-ins for vacations and sick calls.
    The file is an event log and the officer on duty enters data in at least once
    an hour, everything has worked OK for the past several years and just started
    to have problems, no one will admit to makeing any changes in the file.
    Re-installing the master, which is write protected on the network makes no
    improvement. The same master installed on other computers works OK.
    --
    dmtech

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: save to same file as opened

    Well, it sounds to me like somebody put a macro in there to save it to a new
    name. Otherwise, my brain isn't thinking right today, which is always
    possible. Given there's no input from anybody else...I think they're
    clueless, too.
    *******************

  5. #5

    Re: save to same file as opened

    Since you're seeing the SaveAs dialog, it sounds like excel knows that this file
    can't be overwritten.

    If you look at the title bar, do you see [Read-Only] there?

    If you do, then either the user opened the workbook in readonly mode. Or the
    file could have its attributes set to ReadOnly (via windows explorer???). Or it
    could mean that the user doesn't have write access to that drive/folder.

    If there's another user who has the file open, this user may have ignored the
    message that said it was in use and answered "yes" to the readonly prompt.

    ==========

    Arrrrrrgggggggghhhh!

    My "real" guess (after re-reading your post).

    I bet that user who is having the trouble double clicks on the file in windows
    explorer to open it.

    If you walk by that user's pc and ask them to rightclick on that file (in
    windows explorer), you should see one option in bold letters. For most people,
    Open should be the default action for .xls files.

    But I'm guessing you see New in bold. That means that windows/excel will treat
    that file (and all .xls files) as a template.

    One way to fix this is:

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    =========
    Yeah, I could have deleted that first portion of my post. But it was a lot of
    typing and it could have been useful <vbg>.

  6. #6
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: save to same file as opened

    Good call! Dying to know if you're right...
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    lp285
    Guest

    Re: save to same file as opened

    I'm having a similar issue WHen opening an excel spreadsheet from a location
    other than the Default Office location whenever I do a Save As Excel opens My
    Documents to save it there rather than the original location. If I open
    Excel 1st then open the spreadsheet from excel it saves to the location the
    document was opened from. This occurred after upgrading to XP SP2 and Office
    SP3. I have machines that have not yet been updated and they don't exhibit
    this behavior