How to protect data in rows from being seperated during sort

  1. #1
    tired of finding my data scrambled
    Guest

    How to protect data in rows from being seperated during sort

    I have a huge spreadsheet that needs to be sorted a million times but several
    people. The problem is that during some of the sorts they don't always grab
    the whole row and the data then gets scrambled. how can I protect the sheet
    so that the rows can be moved and sorted and edited but the data within the
    rows always stays together

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How to protect data in rows from being seperated during sort

    If your sheet is not too dynamic, and tends to stay the same size, then
    simply create a named range.

    Select *all* the rows and columns concerned.
    Click in the "Name box", and enter a short appropriate name, like "sort" (no
    quotes), and hit <Enter>.

    Now, before each sort, click that name in the name box, which automatically
    selects all your data.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "tired of finding my data scrambled"
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: How to protect data in rows from being seperated during sort

    In addition to RagDyeR's suggestion, if the _entire_ list of records is to
    be sorted, just tell your users to NOT select anything other than to put the
    cell selector (click) in the appropriate sort column and click the A-Z/Z-A
    button or have them use Data>Sort as long as the active cell is anywhere
    within the data range.

    HTH |:>)

    On 7/23/05 2:48 AM, in article
    [email protected], "tired of finding my