Pivot Table Comment Field

  1. #1
    Bahama, NC

    Pivot Table Comment Field

    I am wanting to put a comment field in a pivot table, so when some one sees something on the table they can put a comment as why it is there. A free form type thing. I know that if I put a field in that is blank and it puts (blank) in all the cells in the field, if you change the word blank to what ever it changes all the same thing to what you type in that field or cell. So the only thing I could think of was to put numbers in the column prior to converting to a pivot table like 1-150, so they would all be unique so I can have a comment field. Is there some other way to do this?
    Thanks for the help,
    Bob

  2. #2

    Re: Pivot Table Comment Field

    Is there a reason you don't want to use a comment? (Insert|Comment)

  3. #3
    Bahama, NC
    It is for many users, and I am not sure that everyone would know to look for the red tag on the cell for comments. The rest of the spread sheets that are used here all have a column marked comments and they are probably used to that. Of course I made this reall nice pivot table that makes things really easy, and I need a comment field.
    Thanks for the help,
    Bob

  4. #4

    Re: Pivot Table Comment Field

    You could add text to any adjacent cell (not part of the pivottable), but then
    if you rearrange that pivottable, your text may not make much sense. (If the
    users don't know to look for comments, maybe you could copy|paste special over
    the pivottable and make it just data so it can't be rearranged??)

    You could turn on the comments so that they're always visible?

    Tools|options|view tab.

  5. #5
    Bahama, NC
    I like the way inserting the comments works, putting the name in and everything but if there is comments in cells right above or below they overlap and you can't read them if you alow them to be viewed all the time. Like you said if it is in adjacent cells out of the pivot then the text gets jumbled if you sort or use the drop boxes. Can you group them with a part of the pivot table so the cells that are not in the pivot will move with the data in the pivot.
    Thanks for you input Dave,
    Bob

  6. #6

    Re: Pivot Table Comment Field

    I don't think you can tie those adjacent cells to something in the pivottable.
    There are just so many things you can do that I would think it would be
    impossible to do it automatically.

    If you can pick out a unique value, maybe you could put the notes in another
    worksheet and use =vlookup() to retrieve that "comment" into the adjacent cell.
    (But that, too, would depend on what you did to that pivottable.)

  7. #7
    Bahama, NC
    I think What I'll do is in my data table I'll create a column for comments. In the cells below it I'll put "Enter Comments Here 01" and do a fill in the range so it'll have a unique entry for every field so when it creates the pivot table and they enter comments it will not change the fiel in the pivot table to all the same comment. Make sense, it does in my head at least.