Alphabetically

  1. #1
    Amanda Bainbridge
    Guest

    Alphabetically

    How do I make surnames appear alphabetically in Excel spreadsheets?

  2. #2
    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetically

    Amanda Bainbridge wrote:
    > How do I make surnames appear alphabetically in Excel spreadsheets?

    If you have a column of the names, highlight them all and then click Tools>Sort
    and work your way through the panels. Excel will then sort everything
    alphabetically for you.

    If the column of names is followed by other columns of corresponding data,
    you'll need to highlight all the columns so when the names are sorted into order
    their corresponding data will move with them.

    Good luck...

    Bill

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetically

    I assume you have names such as Amanda Bainbridge in one cell. You need to
    extract the surname to sort on. In a helper column add this formula

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"
    ","^^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")))))

    copy this for all names then sort all columns using this helper column as
    the key.

    RP

    "Amanda Bainbridge" <Amanda [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetically

    Bob,

    Having a bit of trouble with this - it pastes into Excel in two cells and
    when I try to concatenate them, I keep getting #VALUE!
    I've looked repeatedly at what I have, but can't seem to find the error!

    Pete

  5. #5

    Re: Alphabetically

    Try copying from the newsgroup post, but paste it into the formula bar--not
    directly into the cell.

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",
    "^^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")))))

    (I broke the line feed at a position that won't hurt when you copy|paste.)

  6. #6
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetically