Backup file

  1. #1

    Backup file

    How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to
    specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored?

    Thanks,
    Tom

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Backup file

    Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file
    every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  3. #3

    RE: Backup file

    Do I need to set up my file to always create backup?
    Does this saving feature save only the copy of my backup and not the
    original file?

    Thanks,

    Tom

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Backup file

    It will always create an autorecovery file - not quite the same as a backup.
    If you don't want to create your own backup when closing the file then maybe
    one of the MVP's who visit this site can suggest other settings or provide
    you with VBA code that will automatically save a second copy of your file to
    a different directory. Afraid that part is over my head.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  5. #5

    Re: Backup file

    I save my files normally. Then I'll use windows explorer to copy them to my
    backup folders (LAN drives, CD/DVD's, or whatever).

    But if you wanted, you could have a workbook event that saves a copy to a
    specified folder each time you save the workbook.

    Option Explicit

    On Error Resume Next
    MkDir "C:\mybackups"
    Me.SaveCopyAs Filename:="c:\mybackups\mynamehere.xls"
    On Error GoTo 0

    End Sub

    This code goes under the ThisWorkbook module.

    And it overwrites the previous backup (if it exists) each time you save your
    file.