How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

  1. #1
    jwoodruff77
    Guest

    How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

    H J,

    Assume the values start in A2,

    B2: = -Abs(A2)

    and drag down as far as required.

    For column B use any other convenient column.

    Copy | PasteSpecial | Values the formla cells, either in situ or to replace
    the original column A values.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    "jwoodruff77" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

    Hi

    Enter -1 into any free cell, and copy the cell.
    Select your column.
    Select PasteSpecial from menu, or from right-click dropdown list, and check
    Multiply. OK.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

    Hi Arvi,

    Will this not convert negative values to positive values?

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

    "Norman Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:#fa#[email protected]
    > Hi Arvi,
    >
    > Will this not convert negative values to positive values?

    It will. The OP needs to do an IF statement in a free column as
    =IF(A1<0,A1*-1,A1) and then do a copy-paste special-values I think.

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: How do I make all numbers in a column negative in excel 2000?

    Hi

    Another way, when there are initially negative values in column, is to
    select the column , and replace all "-" with nothing. After that OP can
    continue multiplying the column with -1.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...