Pivot Table custom column placement

  1. #1
    metrueblood
    Guest

    Pivot Table custom column placement

    Thanks so much for taking time with my question!
    Here's the situation:
    I've made a pivot table from a worksheet. My supervisor wants the report to
    have the columns ordered in a specific way (not alphabetically) eg. "New",
    "Assigned", "Accepted","Rejected", "Implemented". How do i get the field
    (column headings) to be in that order? Any help would be very appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    mary trueblood :-)

  2. #2
    William Horton
    Guest

    RE: Pivot Table custom column placement

    You will have to create a custom list / sort order. Follow the Excel menu
    path Tools / Options and then click on the Custom Lists tab. In the List
    Entries section type the values you want in the order you want separated by
    commas (you can also import your list if it is long). Choose add when you
    are done and then okay to close the dialog box.

    Then go to your pivot table and click on any field or field heading of the
    column you want sorted and choose Data / Sort from the Excel menu path (Note
    that you are not using the field settings option of the pivot table). Then
    click the Options button. You can then choose the custom list you created in
    the previous step. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

    Hope this gets you started.

    Thanks,
    Bill Horton