Calculating number of weeks from two dates

  1. #1

    Calculating number of weeks from two dates

    Hi, I'm both new here and to Excel generally!

    I'm running Excel 2003.

    I've designed a spreadsheet for my work to calculate holiday taken, days left etc.
    To make my job easier(!) I'm using (attempting to use!) formulae.
    I can calculate days & hours taken for a given period but what I would like to do is calculate the number of weeks from two dates (date leave started to date leave ended.)

    EG: week leave started is 03/01/05 week leave finished is 23/01/05 = 2 weeks.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The DateDif will do this, assuming the start date is in A1, the end date is in A2, and A3 is formatted to Number, no decimal places.

    =DateDif(A1,A2+1,"D")

    should give you what you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by spudgun

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of weeks from two dates

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 04:17:12 -0500, spudgun
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I'm both new here and to Excel generally!
    >
    >I'm running Excel 2003.
    >
    >I've designed a spreadsheet for my work to calculate holiday taken,
    >days left etc.
    >To make my job easier(!) I'm using (attempting to use!) formulae.
    >I can calculate days & hours taken for a given period but what I would
    >like to do is calculate the number of weeks from two dates (date leave
    >started to date leave ended.)
    >
    >EG: week leave started is 03/01/05 week leave finished is 23/01/05 = 2
    >weeks.
    >
    >Is this possible?
    >
    >Thanks

    Not quite sure how you would come up with your answer.

    23 Jan 2005 -- 3 Jan 2005 is 21 days (inclusive) so would be three weeks.

    In general, you could use the formula:

    =(EndDate - StartDate +1) / 7

    to get the number of weeks. Enter the dates in cells and substitute cell
    references in the formula (or NAME the cells).

    But I don't know how you'd get two weeks from those dates.

    Excel stores dates as serial numbers, starting with 1 Jan 1900 or 1 Jan 1904
    depending on your date system.

    --ron

  4. #4

    Re: Calculating number of weeks from two dates

    Just to add to Bryan's reply...

    If you're going to use =datedif(), take a look at Chip Pearson's notes at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

  5. #5

    Re: Calculating number of weeks from two dates

    But the OP did want the number of weeks, not days.

    (But Chip's site is an excellent resouce for =datedif().)

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Your problem in trying to work in Weeks rather than Days is that 5 days (Monday to Friday) can be 1 week (ie, a week of leave entitlement) or 3/5 weeks (Thursday to Monday) , or 9 days (Saturday to Sunday-week) can be 1 week.

    You would need to use the Weekday function on the first date and asses whether a week is 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 days from that point.

    A suggestion is that you work in Days and report the 'Leave Remaining' in the integer of (days / 5) (as weeks) and days.

    Otherwise you need to count the number of non-working days that are in the period (including public holidays) and subtract them from the Datedif answer.

    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, and thanks Dave for the reminder of the Chips site, he has some good stuff there. ('stuff' being a technical term)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson