Using clip-art in Excel

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    Using clip-art in Excel

    I'm trying to find a way to superimpose a washed-out, semi-tranparent
    clip-art object on top of a worksheet. Is that possible and if so, can
    someone share the process?

    Thanks!
    --
    DAS

  2. #2
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm trying to find a way to superimpose a washed-out, semi-tranparent
    > clip-art object on top of a worksheet. Is that possible and if so, can
    > someone share the process?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Insert/Picture/File?

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  3. #3
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    Dodo Wrote:
    > "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=" [email protected] wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > -
    > I'm trying to find a way to superimpose a washed-out, semi-tranparent
    > clip-art object on top of a worksheet. Is that possible and if so,
    > can
    > someone share the process?
    >
    > Thanks!-
    >
    > Insert/Picture/File?
    >

    > --
    >
    > It is I, DeauDeau
    > (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

    Hi Dave,

    I'm afraid the answer is No.
    (The above suggestion will only paste an OPAQUE picture onto the sheet
    - you can't replicate the Word 'Send Behind Text' feature - and I know,
    it annoys me too, especially as the Format -- Sheet -- Background
    doesn't quite do the same thing).

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  4. #4
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    BizMark <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > (The above suggestion will only paste an OPAQUE picture onto the sheet
    > - you can't replicate the Word 'Send Behind Text' feature - and I know,
    > it annoys me too, especially as the Format -- Sheet -- Background
    > doesn't quite do the same thing).

    Errr . . .

    What kind of picture are you talking about?

    "washed-out, semi-transparent"?

    Have you got a sample somewhere?

  5. #5
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    What he means is that he wants to take a normal picture, paste it into
    Excell, and then make it become transparent so that the text can be seen
    through it. Maybe it would be possible to use a different image program to
    make it look transparent, but then is there a way to get the image to show
    behind the text? In other words, if the image where Slimer, the words would
    go through Slimer, and you'd see them in Slimer. You know, the image
    shouldn't cover the text.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

    ~~~~~~
    | |
    |c--OD
    | _)
    | |
    |-. |
    / `-# /A
    / /_|..`#.J/
    ||LJ `m''
    ptaylor

  6. #6
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCAoRVNJKQ==?=" <[email protected]> wrote
    in news:[email protected]:

    > What he means

    I like to read it in his own words! ;-)))

    > is that he wants to take a normal picture, paste it into
    > Excell, and then make it become transparent so that the text can be
    > seen through it. Maybe it would be possible to use a different image
    > program to make it look transparent, but then is there a way to get
    > the image to show behind the text? In other words, if the image where
    > Slimer, the words would go through Slimer, and you'd see them in
    > Slimer. You know, the image shouldn't cover the text.

    So what was wrong with this?

    Insert/Picture/File?

    If you use e.g. the png format with transparency it would exctly do what
    was originally requested, isn't it?

  7. #7
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    > I like to read it in his own words! ;-)))

    LOL. Okay, I had that coming. I suppose I should have explained. Believe it
    or not, for any of you who may have seen many of my earlier threads, Dave is
    the colleague I'm always talking about. I've been working on this very
    project with him, so I knew exactly what he meant. I guess I should have said
    that. LOL. He asked me the same question, and I've been pondering it myself.

    > So what was wrong with this?
    >
    > Insert/Picture/File?
    >
    > If you use e.g. the png format with transparency it would exctly do what
    > was originally requested, isn't it?

    I'll let him know of your suggestion and tell him to check it out here. One
    of us will get back to you all to let you know if this worked. Thanks!

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

    ~~~~~~
    | |
    |c--OD
    | _)
    | |
    |-. |
    / `-# /A
    / /_|..`#.J/
    ||LJ `m''
    ptaylor

  8. #8
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    Okay, I was testing out your suggestions and have some updates. I tried what
    you said. I was able to make the background transparent, but this does not
    solve the problem of the picture itself. As I said before, using Slimer as an
    example, we'd want a picture of Slimer in there, but the text should be over
    him, not vice versa. I guess we need to effect the opacity of the image. Can
    that be done in Excell, or must that be done in an image editor. If it has to
    be done in an image editor, will it translate into Excell so that the text
    will show OVER the image.

    To make a long story short (too late, I know. LOL. I can tend to go on and
    on), we basically want to image to show behind any text, but in front of the
    cell itself whether or not we change the color of the cell. In other words,
    if the cell only has "23" in it, just the 23 should show in front of the
    image, not that whole cell so that the image has a big white (or whatever
    color we may have colored that cell) box on it.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

    ~~~~~~
    | |
    |c--OD
    | _)
    | |
    |-. |
    / `-# /A
    / /_|..`#.J/
    ||LJ `m''
    ptaylor

  9. #9
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCAoRVNJKQ==?=" <[email protected]> wrote
    in news:[email protected]:

    > Okay, I was testing out your suggestions and have some updates. I
    > tried what you said. I was able to make the background transparent,
    > but this does not solve the problem of the picture itself. As I said
    > before, using Slimer as an example, we'd want a picture of Slimer in
    > there, but the text should be over him, not vice versa. I guess we
    > need to effect the opacity of the image. Can that be done in Excell,
    > or must that be done in an image editor. If it has to be done in an
    > image editor, will it translate into Excell so that the text will show
    > OVER the image.
    >
    > To make a long story short (too late, I know. LOL. I can tend to go on
    > and on), we basically want to image to show behind any text, but in
    > front of the cell itself whether or not we change the color of the
    > cell. In other words, if the cell only has "23" in it, just the 23
    > should show in front of the image, not that whole cell so that the
    > image has a big white (or whatever color we may have colored that
    > cell) box on it.

    Okay, the picture is getting clearer all the time. ;-)))

    Do you want to put much data over Slimer?

    If not (or even so) you could consider putting a text label on the sheet
    and link that to the cell with the number.

    Use the tool bar (not the text frame in drawing tools) to place the label,
    set the LinkedCell, set the back style to transparent and special effect to
    0 and the text to any colour that gives sufficient contrast.
    Put Slimer in the back and the label to the front.

    That should do it!

  10. #10
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    Awesome. That works. Thanks. The only problem is that our spreadsheet
    contains a lot of data. Is there any way to get one text box to hold several
    cells? If not, this solution would be slightly too tedious for what we want
    to do for this project. There would be a lot of linked text boxes for us to
    make. Thanks again! This will definitely help for future reference, whether
    or not we are able to use it this time.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

    ~~~~~~
    | |
    |c--OD
    | _)
    | |
    |-. |
    / `-# /A
    / /_|..`#.J/
    ||LJ `m''
    ptaylor

  11. #11
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Using clip-art in Excel

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCAoRVNJKQ==?=" <[email protected]> wrote
    in news:[email protected]:

    > Awesome. That works. Thanks. The only problem is that our spreadsheet
    > contains a lot of data. Is there any way to get one text box to hold
    > several cells? If not, this solution would be slightly too tedious for
    > what we want to do for this project. There would be a lot of linked
    > text boxes for us to make. Thanks again! This will definitely help for
    > future reference, whether or not we are able to use it this time.

    I just found out it also works with AutoShapes (? if that's what they're
    called in English).
    You have to enter the link in the formula bar for these.

    Anyhow, whilst fooling around I discovered that, if you select the text box
    you too can edit the link in the formula bar.
    If I make it =A1:C1 I see the contents of these cells in the box!

    It changes, however, to a picture and the appearance changes completely.I
    have not yet found a way to make it look nice.
    Also, it seems you can only enter consecutive ranges.