Access Excel Linked Text and Number Issues

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    Access Excel Linked Text and Number Issues

    Question for Access and Excel XP (2002). I have linked an Excel Spreadsheet
    (Database) to Access for updating and other special Access functions. The
    Excel data contains a unique identifier (Key field) call Serial Numbers (SN)
    that contains 13 characters. Some SN contain numbers only, while other SN’s
    contain numbers and one letter i.e; 99923J143567. When linking the data
    together Excel identifies the SN’d item as GENERAL, while Access pulls the
    information in as TEXT. Access then adds a hash mark (‘) to the beginning of
    each SN containing digits only (no letters) i.e; ‘99923J143467, thus making
    the SN TEXT. This in turn causes problems when using the Vlookup function in
    Excel, resulting in a no return value when entering a SN, unless the hash
    mark (‘) has been included in the SN. If I remove the Hash Mark (‘) from the
    Excel SN’s they will not show up in the Access linked database. I would
    prefer not to separate this field if possible. Other then that I have tried
    several methods and searched high in low in the MS Database for help with no
    LUCK! Can anybody HELP me? Thank You!!!

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Access Excel Linked Text and Number Issues

    You could try converting the number to text in the VLookup formula. For
    example, with a number in J2:

    =VLOOKUP(TEXT(J2,"0"),$A$1:$H$500,2,FALSE)

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Scott
    Guest

    Re: Access Excel Linked Text and Number Issues

    Hi Debra,

    Thanks for the quick response. If I'd written my request a little clearer
    you'd have be able to understand it better! After I wrote my question, I
    even questioned what I wrote? Sorry! I think the fix you have posted will
    help me but my next dilemma is getting the formula to work with my needs
    i.e.; Type in a Serial Number (text or numerical value) and return a
    specified value from an Excel spreadsheet or Access Database. Right now the
    Excel formula I've been using is as follows:

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Excel/Access!$B$1:$C$100,2,FASLE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Excel/Acess!$b$1:$c$100,2,FALSE))

    I also posted this question on the Access side of the discussion group and
    a man by the name of John, came up with the same solution/formula as yours.
    He is looking into it "I Think"? I'm not sure where to add the TEXT value?
    I've tried to make the formula work to no avail. Unfortunately, I know very
    little about programming excel formulas when it comes to multiple functions
    "OUCH"! I don't want to waste your time If somebody else is working on a
    solution. I truly appreciate your feedback, and would like to Thank You Very
    Much for your response... Scott...