How do I delete the contents of unprotected cells only?

  1. #1
    Dan
    Guest

    How do I delete the contents of unprotected cells only?

    In a large worksheet, I need to delete the data from the unprotected cells
    while leaving the protected cells unchanged. Is there a quick way to do this?
    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good afternoon Dan

    By unprotected cells do you mean a protected worksheet with some cells unlocked?

    If so, highlight the range containing information and run this code:

    Sub test()
    Count = 0
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each Rng In Selection
    If Rng.Locked = False Then
    Count = Count + 1
    If Count = 1 Then Set Unlocked = Rng
    If Count <> 1 Then Set Unlocked = Union(Unlocked, Rng)
    End If
    Next Rng
    Unlocked.Clear
    End Sub

    The routine will select all unlocked cells and clear the contents of the selected cells.

    HTH

    DominicB

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: How do I delete the contents of unprotected cells only?

    Dan, here is one way using a macro

    Sub Clear_Unlocked()

    Dim Cel As Range

    Const Password = "123" '**Change password here, or use "" for no
    password**

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=Password

    For Each Cel In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells

    If Cel.Locked = False Then Cel.Formula = ""

    Next

    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:=Password

    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    KFEagle
    Guest

    Re: How do I delete the contents of unprotected cells only?

    Dominic,
    I tried this method in a similar situation to Dan's. It works (from the
    same worksheet), but the formatting of the unlocked cells is removed as well.
    Is there a way to keep the formatting?
    Also, I'm trying to run the code in a macro located on a differnet sheet.
    When I run the macro, I get a "Select Method of Range Class Failed" error.
    When I run the debugger the line selecting the cells I want to clear is
    highlighted. It's just a simple "range("I2:AR142")" statement. I can't
    figure why.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Kurt

    this is the macro.....
    Sub clear()

    Sheets("Payroll - Collections - Pledges").Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=Password
    Range("C1:AR142").Select <-RIGHT HERE IS WHERE IT HANGS!
    Count = 0
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each RNG In Selection
    If RNG.Locked = False Then
    Count = Count + 1
    If Count = 1 Then Set Unlocked = RNG
    If Count <> 1 Then Set Unlocked = Union(Unlocked, RNG)
    End If
    Next RNG
    Unlocked.clear <-NEED FORMATTING TO STAY!