help with filters needed please

  1. #1

    Question help with filters needed please

    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to filter a list (one column) by Excel finding a particular word contained in a cell? eg: if each entry on my list was a sentence from a book, could I ask Excel to find only cells with the word "the" and show me only those lines?

    If this makes sense to anybody, I would appreciate any help you could give.

    Thanks,
    Debra

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: help with filters needed please

    Select a cell in the list, and choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter
    From the dropdown arrow in the column heading, select Custom
    From the first dropdown box, select Contains
    In the next box, type the word you want
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!