Subtotaling problem

  1. #1
    Chicago

    Subtotaling problem

    I first copy data into a blank Excel workbook and sort it by column D, then A, and then B.
    I then use the subtotal function to sum the column D at each change in column C. Then I subtotal again summing the column C at each change in A. And finally summing C at each change in B.
    The final result looks like this example:

    Column A Column B Column C Column D
    ITEM A B 2 EXAMPLE100
    B Total 2
    ITEM A S 1 EXAMPLE100
    S Total 1
    ITEM A Total 3
    ITEM B B 2 EXAMPLE100
    B Total 2
    ITEM B S 3 EXAMPLE100
    S Total 3
    ITEM B Total 5
    8 EXAMPLE100 Total

    For some reason this used to work without a problem. And now it inserts the total in the wrong rows.

    Like so:

    Column A Column B Column C Column D
    ITEM A B 2 EXAMPLE100
    B Total 2
    ITEM A S 1 EXAMPLE100
    ITEM A Total 3
    S Total 1
    ITEM B B 2 EXAMPLE100
    B Total 2
    ITEM B S 3 EXAMPLE100
    ITEM B Total 5
    8 EXAMPLE100 Total
    S Total 3

    I can't figure out how to fix this problem.
    I use Microsoft Excel 2003. And I've tried this on numerous computers, all of which have the same result.
    If anyone knows why, what format the data needs to be in, or any reason this sorts the totals in this manner, please let me know. I've been working on fixing this for 2 months now.
    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Re: Subtotaling problem

    maybe...

    Multilevel subtotals are in the wrong position in Excel 2002 and in Excel 2003

  3. #3
    Chicago

    Thank you

    I haven't had the time to reply.
    I wanted to thank you for the helpful link that finally lead me in the right direction to fixing my problem.
    I had posted 3 times on this subject, and you we're the first to really help.
    Thank you again.