Jump to data in a list as first letter is pressed

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Kiran
    Guest

    Jump to data in a list as first letter is pressed

    I have couple of large lists with alphabetised data. Is it possible to have
    intellisense, like if P is pressed on the keyboard, it should jump to P, if H
    then jump to first name with H as the first letter, like that. It does not
    happen with the lists I have(by default)?Is this possible?

    Thnx

  2. #2

    Did anyone answer you

    Did anyone answer you on this? I am having the same problem...

  3. #3
    Kiran
    Guest

    Re: Jump to data in a list as first letter is pressed

    No nobody answered becuase there is no answer to this. I found the only way
    to do this is to use "Combo Box" and the shift did not take a lot of time for
    me. Combo Box has all the cool features and its great.

    Bottomline: Use Combo Box's

    Let me know if you need any more help with combo box's.

    -Kiran

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Krain,
    If you can have one cell to enter the letter in (IE - B1) then this macro
    may work for you. I am using it.

    Put in worksheet
    If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target = "" Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Address(0, 0) = "B1" Then Call ShiftList(Range("B1").Value)
    End Sub

    Then

    Put in module
    Sub ShiftList(sLetter As String)
    Dim MyRng As Range
    Dim SearchFor As String
    Set MyRng = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    SearchFor = sLetter & "*"
    On Error Resume Next
    MyRng.Find(What:=SearchFor, After:=MyRng(MyRng.Count),
    LookAt:=xlWhole).Activate
    If Err <> 0 Then
    MsgBox "The letter '" & sLetter & "' cannot be found."
    Err.Clear
    Exit Sub
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    With ActiveWindow
    .ScrollRow = ActiveCell.Row
    .ScrollColumn = 1
    End With
    End Sub

    Its set up so, the letters you are looking for are in Column A
    And the cell to put your search letter in is B1
    You can change to suit.
    When you enter your search letter in B1 it will jump to the first
    instance of it in Column A, assuming there are more than one.
    I believe Otto Moehrbach can be credited with this code.

    This help?
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiran