[SOLVED] Countif and sumif

  1. #1
    Mangus Pyke
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:29:02 -0700, Visual
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have a spreadsheet of workorders showing various fields.
    >In the report i can count the amount of jobs overdue by 30 days. I can do a
    >count of how many jobs are priority 1. However i don't know how to right a
    >formula that is going tell me how many priority one jobs are overdue by 30
    >days. It seems easy but I don't know.
    >
    >For eg. Priority ......... Age
    > 1 23
    > 1 35
    >I have attempted a few formula such as
    >=sumif(sheet!$:$,1,sheet!$:$)-countif(sheet!$:$,">30") something like that.

    Use an array formula.

    (Assuming that your priorities are in A1:A3 and your ages are in
    B1:B3)

    Enter: =SUM(IF(A1:A3=1,IF(B1:B3>29,1,0),0))

    And confirm by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    --
    "Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
    B.F. Skinner

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Hi,

    Try this:

    =SUMRPODUCT((A1:A10=1)*(B1:B10>30))

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    ....another array-entered formula option:

    =SUM((A1:A3=1)*(B1:B3>29))

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    sebastienm
    Guest

    RE: Countif and sumif

    Countif only takes one criterium. To use several criteria, you can use the
    sumproduct( ) function.
    = sumproduct( ($A$2:$A$100=1) * ($B$1:$B$B100>30) * 1)
    --> sums 1 for all cells of A1:A100 equals to 1 AND (*) all matching cells
    of B1:B100 greater than 30.
    You can add as many criteria as you want.
    Sébastien

  5. #5
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    sorry, I meant =SUMRPODUCT((A1:A10=1)*(B1:B10>29))

    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Hi sebastienm,

    "sebastienm" wrote
    > = sumproduct( ($A$2:$A$100=1) * ($B$1:$B$B100>30) * 1)

    your *1 is redundant as the two equations return arrays of TRUE/FALSE and
    those when multiplied by each other are coerced to 1/0. Thus SUMPRODUCT sums
    up an array of 1s and 0s.

    Regards,
    KL

  7. #7
    Visual
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Countif and sumif

  8. #8
    sebastienm
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    In some situation, it is necessary. Not in this particular case, that's true,
    but i prefer to keep the '* 1' so that i don't spend too much time searching
    the source of a 'wrong' result.

    Eg: Say you have a list of strings, dates, numbers,... in A1:Ax
    =SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A4:A7)>3))
    ---> returns 0 whether or not the text in a cell has a length greater
    than 3
    Now try
    =SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A4:A7)>3) * 1)
    ---> here, you get the right result.
    Sébastien

  9. #9
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Hi sebastienm,

    > but i prefer to keep the '* 1' so that i don't spend too much time
    > searching
    > the source of a 'wrong' result.

    I hope you are also aware what is the price you are paying for this. Just
    imagine that, in the original formula you proposed, instead of range B1:B100
    you work with B1:B1000 (which I think is more realistic). So by adding *1 to
    your formula you effectively add 1000 additional (unnecessary) operations as
    each member of the array will be multiplied by 1. Now a few what-if's: 1.
    there are 10,000 rows involved, 2. there are more than one instance of the
    formula, 3. there are more than one sheet with several instances of the
    formula involving thousands of cells?

    > =SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A4:A7)>3) * 1)
    > ---> here, you get the right result.

    Agree, this can also be achieved by double minus:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(A4:A7)>3))

    Regards,
    KL

  10. #10
    sebastienm
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Sure, there's a price to pay, but even with 50k rows, it's still very
    negligeable in 99.9% of my situations compare to spending even 10 minutes to
    figure out that somewhere in the model there is a error and where it comes
    from. Or maybe more than that to the person who will have to modify my model
    later on and may encounter issues.
    After thinking about it, there might not even be a price to this situation
    '* 1'. If i remember correctly, Excel compiles functions as they are entered;
    so with '* 1' there may not even be a computation of the *1, only a forced
    cast.
    Now i have just tested in xl 2002, =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A13>3)) when all the
    cells are numbers formatted as numbers. It returns 0 without the *1 even
    though some values are greater than 3.

    Just personal preference... my priorities are more ... keeping my models
    easy to debug and optimize by first avoiding volatile functions, avoiding
    regular Lookup functions which recomputes when any cell in the source range
    changes (even though it is not the first column, nor the column used for the
    returned value), order my sheets in alphabetical order to prevent
    double-computations in XL2k....
    I think it's not always practical to optimize a model on all aspects. Eg: i
    wrote some of my usual custom functions in C, but most of the time, i need
    something quick, so i code a function in vba, even though it's going to
    compute 20 times slower than in C... in the end it's still a fraction of a
    second of computation (or say 1 second) compared to the time it takes to
    writting/testing/modifying/accessing it with C.
    Just personal preference :-)

    Sébastien

  11. #11
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Hi sebastienm,

    "sebastienm"
    > Sure, there's a price to pay, but even with 50k rows, it's still very
    > negligeable in 99.9% of my situations compare to spending even 10 minutes
    > figure out that somewhere in the model there is a error and where it comes
    > from. Or maybe more than that to the person who will have to modify my
    > model
    > later on and may encounter issues.

    Once again, I hope that except for your very first argument (...99.9%...)
    you don't believe in the rest of them as otherwise I would like to ask you a
    couple of questions (if you don't mind of course)

    1) how exactly does *1 enable you to identify/prevent errors in your
    formula?
    2) if you claim to unnderstand the way SUMPRODUCT works how come it takes
    you 10 min to spot a matematical operator between two conditions, which is
    what it is all about? Isn't it easier to remember that any matematical
    operator coerces TRUE/FALSE to 1/0 (e.g. *,-,+,^,/) and therefore there is
    no need to use *1,+0,-0,^1,/1,--, etc.

    As a side-note: my tests with the two formulas (with the 50,000 rows range,
    100 instances and with actual data) suggest that there is a 17%
    recalculation time difference (12 sec vs 14 sec)

    > After thinking about it, there might not even be a price to this situation
    > '* 1'. If i remember correctly, Excel compiles functions as they are
    > entered;
    > so with '* 1' there may not even be a computation of the *1, only a forced
    > cast.

    Full sheet recalc occurs at a number of events so there is necessarily a
    recalc of all operations in the formula at least when you open the file
    (unless you set calculation to manual).

    > Now i have just tested in xl 2002, =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A13>3)) when all the
    > cells are numbers formatted as numbers. It returns 0 without the *1 even
    > though some values are greater than 3.

    The format has nothing to do with this issue, I think you are just looking
    in the wrong place. In order to understand that =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A13>3)) can
    not possibly return anything rather than 0 it takes just undestanding that
    SUMPRODUCT can not sum the logical values TRUE and FALSE. And thus you have
    to coerce them explicitly to 1 and 0. Try to input each of the two formulas
    in a cell, select everything that is inside the SUMPRODUCT, press F9 and
    compare the two arrays.

    > Just personal preference... my priorities are more ... keeping my models
    > easy to debug and optimize by first avoiding volatile functions, avoiding
    > regular Lookup functions which recomputes when any cell in the source
    > range
    > changes (even though it is not the first column, nor the column used for
    > the
    > returned value), order my sheets in alphabetical order to prevent
    > double-computations in XL2k....

    this all sounds very dogmatic to me and is also outside the scope of this
    conversation I guess.

    Regards,
    KL

  12. #12
    sebastienm
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Just a precision before starting here; i was just discussing my point of view
    in my situations, that's it; not saying that's the way things are, just
    sharing observations, and not claiming that i KNOW how things work... far
    from that.
    So if the lack of emoticons, my english vocabulary and my way of putting
    sentences in English (which i though was quite ok) seemed misplaced or rude,
    i apologize.

    Now, that said...

    1)how exactly does *1 enable you to identify/prevent errors in your formula?
    By using *1, in my mind, i know that the goal is to Count; just easier to
    me when debugging with many conditions in the expression. But to be honest, i
    also thought it used to be necessary in some specific situations. I cannot
    find any right now though, so it is possible that i learned something wrong
    someday long ago.
    Anyway, when distributing the book, i think it's easier for other
    users/owners to figure out what is going on, but well, seems like it wouldn't
    be an issue for you.
    2) takes 10mns...between two conditions
    First of all, to make things clear, i don't claim to know how the function
    works. Now, i was not speaking of 'between two conditions' but when debugging
    a model in general. Depending of the size of a model, it is not necessarily
    obvious to pinpoint issues within the minute. Even less when you are given a
    book that someone else has built; personaly i have to deal with foreign books
    almost everyday at work.
    3) sheet recalc.
    It has nothing to do with sheet recalc or auto/manual setting. If excel
    compiles expressions once when entered ...[can anybody can confirm? i'd like
    to know.]. Some compilers tend to remove extra unnecessary stuff: compiling
    'number*1' to 'number, 'number+0' to 'number..... Not sure how excel's
    compiler works (this is why i said 'might not even be'), but i would think it
    is intelligent enough to compile 'number * 1' to 'number'.
    4) The format has nothing to do with this issue
    hmmm... that's what i was trying to say ... everything being numbers meaning
    that the cause of the different results wouldn't come from formats for sure
    .... it was just to describe the situation.
    5)dogmatic
    .... maybe ... in some ways...

    At least, i've learned that there seems to be no exception to the coersion.

    Sébastien

  13. #13
    Visual
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Hi

    =SUM(IF(Mackay!E2:E5000=1,IF(Mackay!L2:L5000>30,1,0),0)) I entered this
    formula and it didn't work it returns a value of 0. I checked and yes its
    not meant to be zero.

  14. #14
    Visual
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    It worked. What is it with the row selection. Why cant u have A:A u need
    A1:A1000. Interesting

  15. #15
    Visual
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Sorry just another quick one.

    =SUMPRODUCT((Mackay!$E$1:$E$5000=1)*(Mackay!$L$1:$L$5000>30)*(Macakay!$L$1:$L$5000<60)) how would I make this one work. Jobs between 30 and 60 days

    Thanks.

  16. #16
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    This will work - you just have a spelling error in your final expression
    MACAKAY instead of MACKAY

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

  17. #17
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Hi Visual,

    This is an array formula which means that it needs to be confirmed by
    CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (not just ENTER) so your formula should appear between
    curly brackets {}.

  18. #18
    Visual
    Guest

    Re: Countif and sumif

    Oops. Cheers to everyone who lent a hand.

  19. #19

    I'm trying this formula but it throws a #NAME? error.

    =SUMRPRODUCT(('North America'!O2:O1090>TODAY)*('North America'!H2:H1090="Single User"))

    Anyone have any idea where the problem might be?

    Thanks,

  20. #20
    Woops. I'm a dumbass. I figured out my folly.