Find a value in a workbook and return the worksheet name

  1. #1
    Craig
    Guest

    Find a value in a workbook and return the worksheet name

    I have an Excel workbook (call it Workbook A) with one worksheet for every
    day of the year since July 1, each containing, among other things, a list of
    order numbers for that day.

    In another workbook (Workbook B), I have a smaller list of order numbers.

    What I would like to do is write some kind of function in Workbook B so
    that, for each order number in the smaller list, it will look for that same
    order number in Workbook A (it could be in any worksheet in Workbook A) and
    return the name of the worksheet -- the date for the order.

    Does such a function exist?

    Many thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Find a value in a workbook and return the worksheet name

    Craig,

    Since all the sheets have order records, you will likely find it much better
    to put all of your orders in one sheet with a date column added. Read "Data
    across multiple sheets" at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm.
    In this case, finding any record will be straightforward with filters and
    other tools. If there are too many orders for a sheet, you'll likely need
    to use a database program like Access.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Craig
    Guest

    Re: Find a value in a workbook and return the worksheet name

    Yes, this would be ideal but each worksheet has a lot of other information on
    it and is actually designed more with printing in mind than record-keeping.
    I am afraid there will have to be some redesign involved but I was just
    wondering if there was an easier way in the meantime.

    Thanks,

    Craig