double quotes around text fields in .txt

  1. #1

    double quotes around text fields in .txt

    Hi,

    I have a very big import to do from Excel 2002 to a .txt file. I need
    double quotes around all text fields, but I get everything but. Can
    someone pleeeese tell me how to do this.

    Do I need the format of the fields to be general or text? Do I start
    with single quotes, double quotes, no quotes or maybe even two single
    quotes? I've tried everything I can think of.

    I even tried going through a .csv file, but then I get three double
    quotes!

    Thanks a bunch,

    Michele

  2. #2

    Re: double quotes around text fields in .txt

    Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
    www.smokeylake.com/excel
    (or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

    He supports lots of options.

  3. #3

    Re: double quotes around text fields in .txt

    Thanks Dave, but the application still didn't help. I need it to tell
    the difference between text (or general) and number fields. The
    application will put double quotes around all fields or none.

    For example, it has to end up looking like this in a .txt file:
    "19","big product",89,45,0,"description1"
    "20","another product",45,23,5,"description2"

    Good information though. Any other ideas?

    Take care,

    Michele

  4. #4

    Re: double quotes around text fields in .txt

    Maybe you can make a formula and put it in an adjacent cell:

    =""""&A1&"""" & "," & """" & B1 & """" & "," & C1 & "," & D1 (and so forth)

    or

    or when you start seeing double quotes in your sleep:

    =CHAR(34)&A2&CHAR(34)& "," & CHAR(34)&B2&CHAR(34) &","&C2&","&D2

    Then drag your formula down
    copy that column and paste to Notepad
    Save the file from notepad.

  5. #5

    Re: double quotes around text fields in .txt

    Thanks Dave! Once again, you are my God.