How do I make a chart with bar graphs on one axis, and a line ona secondary axis?

  1. #1
    Levin, Michael
    Guest

    How do I make a chart with bar graphs on one axis, and a line ona secondary axis?

    Hi all. I have some data that I need to plot (Excel v.X running on Mac OS
    Panther). I've currently got two charts: one is a bar graph with two groups,
    and each bar has two colors (one for each of the groups) - 100% stacked
    column. I have another graph which is a very simple line graph. Both graphs
    have the same X axis (with 7 data points), but different Y axes. How do I
    combine them into the same chart? I know how to make a secondary axis, and
    the example in Excel (a "custom" chart) has a bar graph plus a line graph on
    the secondary Y axis, but its bar graph is a simple bar graph, not the
    stacked kind that I have, so it's not quite what I want. Can anyone help? I
    can provide examples (PDF, but I know people don't like to download Usenet
    messages with attachments...). Thanks in advance!

    Mike

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How do I make a chart with bar graphs on one axis, and a line ona secondary axis?

    Michael,

    First, make the chart using all of your data series, as a column chart.
    Then right-click any column - Chart type - Line. I think you already know
    how to assign any series to the secondary axis (right-click the
    column/line/whatever, Format data series - Axis tab).
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:BF210DB4.CFAF%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Levin, Michael
    Guest

    Re: How do I make a chart with bar graphs on one axis, and a lineona secondary axis?

    On 8/11/05 3:17 PM, in article #O#[email protected], "Earl
    Kiosterud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Michael,
    >
    > First, make the chart using all of your data series, as a column chart.
    > Then right-click any column - Chart type - Line. I think you already know
    > how to assign any series to the secondary axis (right-click the
    > column/line/whatever, Format data series - Axis tab).
    > --
    > Earl Kiosterud
    > www.smokeylake.com

    Great - thanks!! That worked very well.