Count items in multiple columns

  1. #1

    Count items in multiple columns

    I have a document that has records, saved in rows. I would like to be able to count all the rows that have data enterend into column F and column G. One column is a number and the other is a text.
    F G
    2) 11469
    3) 114952 a4589
    4) 11635
    5) a9632
    6) 1268 bdf93

    In this sample I would like the value to return 2 because the record on line three and the record on line six both have entries.

    Thank you ahead for any help this is probably very simple and I am overlooking it in the other posts.

  2. #2

    Re: Count items in multiple columns

    One way:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(F2:F6<>""),--(G2:G6<>""))

    Adjust the ranges (same number of rows in both) to match your data--but don't
    use the whole column.

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. the -- converts trues and falses to
    1's and 0's.