[SOLVED] How can I protect cells only?

  1. #1
    SRM
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How can I protect cells only?

    Hi,
    At work we have shared excel file and want to protect some cells (not the
    whole sheet) which contains formulas?upon clicking the cell, I want it to
    appear warning message.

    Regards,
    SRM

  2. #2
    Mark B via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: How can I protect cells only?

    actually all cells are protected by default. what you need to do is
    unprotect the cells you want everyone to have access to, then protect the
    sheet.

    --
    Mark Brindamour
    mtbrindamour[AT]hotmail[dot]com

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: How can I protect cells only?

    SRM,
    By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
    want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the
    go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
    now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this
    protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
    but it will work for most people .

    If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
    go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
    you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
    protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
    that you locked can not be edited

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    SRM,
    Locking cells is a two step process.
    Go to FORMAT>CELLS and then go to the Protection tab and for each range of cells you want protected or locked make sure the "Locked" option is checked. Conversely, for every group of cells you want to be able to change make sure the "Locked" option is unchecked.

    Now, none of this locks or unlocks anything until you go to TOOLS>PROTECTION>PROTECT SHEET. After you protect the sheet all cells which have the "Locked" option checked will be unalterable and those that have the "Locked" option unchecked will be alterable.

    There is a good deal more to learn about the many options with locking and unlocking and I would direct you to the Excel help file.

    Hope this helps
    Casey

  5. #5
    SRM
    Guest

    Re: How can I protect cells only?

    Many thanks to all. Before I used to protect the cells by using Data
    Validation and I didn't know that there is an easy way to do that. Thanks
    again.

    SRM

    "Casey" <[email protected]> wrote in