cell will not center

  1. #1
    Hilary
    Guest

    cell will not center

    Hi.

    I have a user with an Excel worksheet. There are multiple rows and columns
    and they are all set on center alignment, (center alignment icon on the
    toolbar as well as Format Cells --> Horizontal Alignment --> Center.) The
    alphabetical characters align correctly but the numerical don't, as they will
    only left align. Format Cells --> Number is set to General, so I don't know
    why it won't change the alignment.

    Other than the worksheet being corrupted, I don't know what could be wrong
    with it.

    Any suggestions are much appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Hilary

  2. #2
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    =?Utf-8?B?SGlsYXJ5?= <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a user with an Excel worksheet. There are multiple rows and
    > columns and they are all set on center alignment, (center alignment
    > icon on the toolbar as well as Format Cells --> Horizontal Alignment
    > --> Center.) The alphabetical characters align correctly but the
    > numerical don't, as they will only left align.

    Do you see (in the formula bar) an apostrophe ' before these numbers?

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  3. #3
    Hilary
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Nope. No apostrophe.

  4. #4
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    =?Utf-8?B?SGlsYXJ5?= <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Nope. No apostrophe.

    The only other thing I can think of giving this result, is when the
    "numbers" are followed by spaces. This you can check too in the formula
    bar.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Is the user using Excel for the worksheet, or a viewer of some form?

    Can the user, in another cell, put =A1+1 (where A1 is replaced with address of one of the offending cells)

    Does the offending cell show the data to the left and double width, as it would be if Alt/Enter were used in the cell?

    Are there any other clues, such as what happens if you re-enter the number in the cell? (you can Ctrl/Z to un-enter that)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodo

  6. #6

    Re: cell will not center

    Is the cell part of a merged area? (maybe it's centered in those cells that are
    merged?)

    Has the cell been part of multiple cells that were formatted via:
    cells|format|alignment tab|horizontal text alignment box:
    Center across Selection

    I remember having trouble turning that off in earlier versions and keeping
    alignment the way I wanted.

    Are you sure that the cell is really formatted as general:
    select the cell
    hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
    hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

    type this:
    ?activecell.numberformat

    do you get: General
    returned?

  7. #7
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Dodo Wrote:
    > =?Utf-8?B?SGlsYXJ5?= [email protected] wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > -
    > Nope. No apostrophe.
    > -
    >
    > The only other thing I can think of giving this result, is when the
    > "numbers" are followed by spaces. This you can check too in the
    > formula
    > bar.
    >

    > --
    >
    > It is I, DeauDeau
    > (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

    Did you previously set those cells to "Comma Style"?
    If you look next to the icon for "Currency Style", you've got
    "Percentage", "Comma" and "Add/Remove Decimal Place".

    Once you've set a cell to Currency or Comma Style, even removing the
    decimal places leaves that style set, and sets an invisible 'decimal
    tab' point.

    Try going to Format -- Cells -- Number
    Then, select Category as 'Number' and set the required number of
    decimal places. This may fix it.

    Regards,
    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  8. #8
    Hilary
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Hi Dave.

    No, it's not part of a merged area nor has the cell been part of multiple
    cells that were formatted as you described. And finally, I entered
    ?activecell.numberformat and got "general."

    I'm stumped!

    Hilary

  9. #9
    Hilary
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Hi Bryan.

    The user is using Excel for the worksheet. When I put =A1+1 (replacing with
    the offending cell), it does not add the two numbers. Finally, nothing
    different happens when I re-enter a number in the offending cell.

    However, cells with alphabetical text do center properly.

    Any other thoughts?

    Hilary

  10. #10
    Hilary

  11. #11
    Hilary
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Hi BizMark.

    As far as I know, no one has set the cells to comma style.

    Hilary

  12. #12
    Hilary
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Nope, no spaces either.

  13. #13

    Re: cell will not center

    I don't have another guess.

    Sorry.

  14. #14
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    =?Utf-8?B?SGlsYXJ5?= <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi Bryan.
    >
    > The user is using Excel for the worksheet. When I put =A1+1 (replacing
    > with the offending cell), it does not add the two numbers.

    Doesn't that indicate that the offending cell's format is not number?!

    What do you get as a result of this formula?

    Does this all happen only on the user's puter or also on other machines
    when you copy the spreadsheet there?

  15. #15
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    =?Utf-8?B?SGlsYXJ5?= <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Nope, no spaces either.

    You're not by any chance using a right-to-left capable OS?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...3467#appliesto

    Or macros/VBA running in the background doing things?

    Or designed the worksheet in one Excel version and saved/use it in a
    different version?

    What version is being used?

    What else is typical for that particular spreadsheet/work environment?

    What does MS have to say about it? ;-)))

  16. #16
    Hilary
    Guest

    Re: cell will not center

    Thanks for your help. We've decided to just call it a currupted file and copy
    and paste into a new worksheet. Thanks though!

    Hilary

  17. #17
    USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: cell will not center

    I think I might have your answer; hopefully 9 years isn't too long to wait.

    try hitting "ctrl ~" simultaneously to change the view from the formula view.

    it seems that when you're in the formula view, the center formatting is turned off

  18. #18
    Uphill
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: cell will not center

    9 years after the question, six months after the answer, you saved me. You saved me from having an uncenterable number and also from losing my job and possibly facing criminal charges for setting my computer on fire.

  19. #19
    San Jose, CA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: cell will not center

    OMG! 9 years + 9 months later and you saved me too! This was driving me crazy! I must have accidentally hit Ctrl + ~ at some point. I just screamed in frustrtaion (attracting the attention of the entire office), turned to MrExcel as a last resort AND HERE IS THE ANSWER! MrExcel should have been my first resort. Thank you thank you thank you! 111222 Is my hero! And ShabbyTabby I can relate.

  20. #20
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: cell will not center

    MrExcel should have been my first resort.
    Maybe, but the answer was on ExcelForum.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

  21. #21
    Utah, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    2016 Excel

    Re: cell will not center

    12 year old question, 3 year old answer, and this thread is still saving "lives". Thank you 111222, SOOOOO much.

  22. #22
    Netherlands
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: cell will not center

    OMG this helped me a lot!

  23. #23
    United States
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365

    Re: cell will not center

    I made an account just to say this is still working on Microsoft 365! Couldn't figure out what was going on and found this when I searched! 17 years later and still going!!! Thanks a lot!

  24. #24
    Left Coast
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft® Excel® for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11929.20234) 64-bit

    Re: cell will not center

    I found this answer in 2023 and it worked a treat! And I consider myself an Excel power user. *hangs head in disgrace* THANK YOU!