Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Is there a way to sort text by frequency within Excel?

  1. #1
    jellis1919
    Guest

    Is there a way to sort text by frequency within Excel?

    Let's say I have a thousand branch offices, each with a unique alpha
    identifier. I start with a list, sorted by date range, of which offices have
    placed orders. There is an entry in the spreadsheet for every instance an
    office has placed an order. As on order comes in, it's added to the
    spreadsheet, but not grouped by office. If office "AAA" placed 3 orders that
    month, it's entries might appear in rows 8, 25, and 334. By sorting the
    office column by alpha, I can now see see that office "AAA" placed 3 orders
    (rows 2-4) , and that office "AAB" placed 5 orders (rows 5-9). But which of
    the 1,000 offices placed the most orders? The least?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to sort text by frequency within Excel?

    One way would be to use a helper column..........assuming your list is in
    column A, in B1 put
    =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)
    Then sort on column B as the first key and column A as the second

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...