Counting days

  1. #1
    Crusty
    Guest

    Counting days

    Ok, so i have an idea about setting up a workbook but i am using calender
    days and i need to have excel count those days. i.e 08/15/2005 - 08/20/2005 =
    5 days. now it doesn't matter about weekends and bank holidays. but i do need
    excel to be able to work out month changes.

    Is this possible to do and how do you do it?
    Extremely grateful

    Rick

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Counting days

    Hi Rick,

    You can find all about calculating with dates here:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#AddingDates

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Counting days

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1c3R5?= <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Ok, so i have an idea about setting up a workbook but i am using
    > calender days and i need to have excel count those days. i.e
    > 08/15/2005 - 08/20/2005 = 5 days. now it doesn't matter about weekends
    > and bank holidays. but i do need excel to be able to work out month
    > changes.
    >
    > Is this possible to do and how do you do it?
    > Extremely grateful
    >
    > Rick

    In cell1: 08/15/2005
    In cell2: 08/20/2005
    In cell3: =cell2-cell1
    Format of cell3 is "Standard"

    Replace "cell1" etc with the proper celladdresses.

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counting days

    Rick,

    I am not clear on what you want to do.

    The number of days between two dates is simply

    =end_date - start_date

    But what exactly do you mean by the bit about month changes? You can check
    if different months with

    =IF(MONTH(start_date)<>MONTH(end_date),"changed","")

    RP

  5. #5
    Rick, United Kingdom
    Guest

    Re: Counting days

    Thanks Bob for replying, but i got to the solution i needed. I "thought" I
    needed to be careful of the length of each month as they are all different in
    days. (As we all know) but as it turns out the formula that I am using it not
    requiued to watch out for specific months.
    It's kind of hard to explain i hope this helps you but thanks again anyway.
    p.s i have stored you handy "if" formula. never know when it might come in
    handy!