how to protect column headers from sorting.

  1. #1
    rabbit
    Guest

    how to protect column headers from sorting.

    I am trying to sort data while protecting the header labels from being
    sorted. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: how to protect column headers from sorting.

    There is an option in the Data>Sort dialog to exclude headers.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to protect column headers from sorting.

    Don't use the sort ascending/descending buttons.

    Select all cells on the sheet and then use
    Data, Sort, at the bottom is a checkbox where you indicate
    if you data has headers.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    I believe the 'Header Row' option in the sort covers only 1 row.

    To sort where there are multiple row headers (and also to protect Row Totals if necessary) select the rows that you require to be sorted either by click-and-drag the row numbers, or by typing the range into the name box
    (as say 6:65536 for 5 header rows,
    or 6:30 for 5 header rows, 26 data rows and total rows at 31 onwards)
    and then do your sort leaving the 'Heading row' unticked.
    Use the 'ascending/descending' and additions sort keys as required.

    Hope this helps

    Quote Originally Posted by David McRitchie