Undo

  1. #1
    yarp
    Guest

    Undo

    1. In my opinion, it's very problematic that the actions in the Undo button
    disappear each time an Auto-save is performed. Auto-save is involuntary, as
    opposed to a Save action the user performs. I also must add that I didn't
    notice this phenomenon happen in other Office applications.
    2. Also, there should be a way of setting the number of Undo actions Excel
    should keep, with an option of saving an "endless" number of actions. If my
    computer can't handle it, I wouldn't mind if at some point a task pane will
    appear, informing me that the system free resources are getting low and
    allowing me to delete some of the Undo actions that were saved.
    3. Furthermore, suppose that I'm in the middle of working on an Office file
    while suddenly I have to go. Wouldn't it be nice if I could save an Office
    file together with its Undo actions?

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    RE: Undo

    These are really good suggestion. I've been lucky enough never to run into
    the problem you mention in the first suggestion, though. I like your second
    suggestion a lot. I hate when I make several changes to something and it
    turns out I don't like the result, but I find out I made too many changes to
    get back to where I was.

    Also, it would be really nice if you save a document, and it also saves your
    recent changes, so you can undo them if need be when you re-open the
    document. Good suggestions. You got an "I Agree" vote from me. I hope
    Microsoft is reading this.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

  3. #3

    Re: Undo

    Just #2...

    Undo has a limit of 16 actions, but it's resizable by tweaking a registry
    setting.

    xl2k and above
    XL: How to Modify the Number of Undo Levels
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211922

    xl97
    XL97: How to Modify the Number of Undo Levels
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162944

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Undo

    yarp

    1. Auto-save is not involuntary. It is an add-in that can be unchecked in
    Tools>Add-ins in versions 2000 and earlier.

    The Autorecovery feature of Excel 2002 and 2003 does not delete the undo
    stack.

    2. Read this KB article to learn how to increase the number of undos.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q211922#top

    3. Maybe a good idea, but a potential resource hog IMO.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    yarp
    Guest

    Re: Undo

    Gord,
    my answers are below.
    yarp.

    "Gord Dibben" wrote:

    > yarp
    >
    > 1. Auto-save is not involuntary. It is an add-in that can be unchecked in
    > Tools>Add-ins in versions 2000 and earlier.

    It is involuntary beause you never expect it, and you're not asked about it.
    Also, it is set to "on" by default (and so it should be). Many users don't
    even know they can change it, not to mention that they don't know how.

    > The Autorecovery feature of Excel 2002 and 2003 does not delete the undo
    > stack.

    It sure does. I just re-checked it. Maybe you should try working on a fresh
    installation or something like that.
    This is really a serious problem. You make changes to a document, and
    suddenly, when everything's going OK, something happens really quick and then
    you find your Undo button disabled. It took me some time before I realized it
    was the Auto-save.

    > 2. Read this KB article to learn how to increase the number of undos.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q211922#top

    I just did. I followed it and it helped. Thank you (and Dave Peterson above).
    However, I think that the common user would like to have control over the
    number of Undo actions in history through the Tools-Options dialog box.
    My father, for example doesn't even know what the registry is. He needs
    Excel to be reliable. So if the number of Undo actions in history is not
    "endless", then it must be allowed to be changed through the application.

    > 3. Maybe a good idea, but a potential resource hog IMO.

    OK, so the default of this option should be "off". Moreover, in MS-Word's
    "Save As" dialog box, the "Save" button has a drop-list of options. This can
    be a nice way of enabling this option while still keeping it quite hidden, so
    that not everyone who saves a document will save all the Undo history along
    with it.

  6. #6
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: Undo

    Wow! You are full of good ideas, because I have to say I like your answer of
    saying it could be an option with Save As. I think your suggestions are a
    good idea, especially when they are made an option, and not the default.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,