Excel Crashed Terribly

  1. #1
    Kiran
    Guest

    Excel Crashed Terribly

    Hi,

    Yesterday I wrote a piece of code on a excel sheet and now I am not able to
    open that file. Looks like excel has crashed and I dont know how I can get to
    the code without being able to open the file. When i try to open the file, I
    get the hour glass and it stays there infinite. I have to kill it to close
    it. Is there anyway I can get to the code page? I can open a new/diff file
    and go the code editor. Since I have the code inline and not in a file.

    Can anyone help me get to the code?I worked on it from a week and am mad to
    loose that in a click?

    Appreciate any replies
    ....&

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Excel Crashed Terribly

    Are your security settings at "Low"? If yes, set to Medium or higher
    and then open the file: you should get a security warning. Disable the
    macros- you will be able to view the code but not run macros.

    If that doesn't work, when you open the file and get the hourglass,
    press ESC to see if that halts the code. Another way to do this- on my
    keyboard, yours may be different- is to simultaneously press the CTRL
    and PAUSE BREAK keys. (The Pause Break is on my Microsoft ergonomic
    keyboard; you should have a similar key that is labeled differently).

  3. #3
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel Crashed Terribly

    Hi Kiran

    Open Excel
    File>Open
    Select the file
    Press the Shift key when you click on Open

    This way the file will open without running the macro's

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  4. #4
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    Re: Excel Crashed Terribly

    Open your file in Office Safe Mode.
    --
    Gary's Student

  5. #5
    Kiran
    Guest

    Re: Excel Crashed Terribly

    Thanks Dave,

    The macro security worked! Thank you soo much. Appreciate everyone's help.
    Thanks

  6. #6
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Excel Crashed Terribly

    Worth a shot: Try holding down ALT when opening the file. This will bypass
    any code that is trying to run at start up. Unfortunately, that may not be
    the source of your problem, but it's easy enough to find out.

    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.