Custom Format time to arc

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    San Diego, CA

    Custom Format time to arc

    I'm trying to find a symbol to Format/Cells/Custom, a symbol that represents the max value of 360°. I know "H" is equal to the max value of 24 hours, "m" is equal to sixty minuets and "s" is equal to sixty seconds, this [h] will roll hours over past 24, and I know to format cells like this h° m' s.00\" but these symbols represent time not the arc of 360°. I want to convert arc to time and time to arc with the symbols in costum format, I don't think this is possible, is it? Am I doing this backwards? Should I be working with a formula or a combination of both? I've asked other people around me who have little or no experience wit Excel and they more or less agree that I'm confused.

    I would greatly appreciate any insight.

    Matt

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Custom Format time to arc

    I can't really tell what you're trying to do. Time and arc are both
    sexagesimal representations, so how they're interpreted is a matter of
    what you decide to call them.

    If you format the cells as

    [hhh]° mm' ss.00\"

    while making entries as 12:34:56.78 you should be able to use the
    entries as arcs.

    Take a look at

    http://cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

    for a longer discussion.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Flintstone <[email protected]>

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    San Diego, CA
    Your web page was exactly what I was looking for. thank you!

    Matt