Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

  1. #1
    Teacher
    Guest

    Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

    I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the
    test worksheet, I would like to be able to, for each student, drop the lowest
    test grade. This may be a different test for each student.

  2. #2
    StinkeyPete
    Guest

    RE: Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

    Try this:

    =(SUM(B2:F2)-(MIN(B2:F2)))/(COUNT(B2:F2)-1)

    This will drop the lowest grade and give you the average grade after the
    lowest grade is dropped. This assumes that you have five grades entered in
    columns B through F.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

    Assuming that B2:F2 contains the test grades (5 for this example),
    here's another way...

    =AVERAGE(LARGE(B2:F2,{1,2,3,4}))

    Hope this helps!

  4. #4
    Teacher
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

    Thanks so much, Domenic and Pete! I'll try those!!!