How do I stop Automatic Sheet/Workbook protection

  1. #1
    Kim from AZ
    Guest

    How do I stop Automatic Sheet/Workbook protection

    Each time I create a new Excel spreadsheet it is automatically protected.
    How can I stop this from happening.

    Thank for your help.

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Automatic Sheet/Workbook protection

    Hi Kim

    Do you mean Protected with a password or that all cells are locked
    by default

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Kim from AZ
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Automatic Sheet/Workbook protection

    Ron, thank you for your reply. It is not password protected, just protected.
    Each time I open ANY excel document I have to go into TOOLS and then
    PROTECTION and unprotect the sheet.

    It came on suddenly, and now this step is required with every excel document
    I open. Even on the documents I create, and I do not add protection to the
    documents.

    I hope you can help.

    Thank you,
    Kim [email protected]

  4. #4

    Re: How do I stop Automatic Sheet/Workbook protection

    Every workbook????

    If you start a new one, save it, close excel, reopen excel and reopen your
    workbook, then the worksheet(s) will be protected???? (save the workbook with
    the worksheet unprotected.)

    If that happens, then try this:

    Close excel
    reopen excel in safe mode
    windows start button|Run
    excel /safe
    file|open your workbook

    Are those worksheets still protected?

    If no, then maybe you have a "helpful" addin that's either protecting those
    sheets when you close the file (or when you open them (safe mode stops all
    macros from running).

    Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

    And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

    Essentially, you move all of the stuff out of XLStart and you turn off all the
    addins under Toools|addins.

    Then you start adding things back one at a time and testing each time to see if
    the problem is fixed. When you add something back that causes the problem to
    come back, you'll have to decide what to do with that addin.

    (Make sure you keep track of all the stuff you turn off and move.)