insert text conditionally and format

  1. #1
    John Sawyer
    Guest

    insert text conditionally and format

    Hi,

    I want to conditionally format a cell so that it turns red based on
    another's value. Actually, if any one of 3 cells are out of a specified
    value, then this 4th cell should turn. This much I have accomplished.

    Is there any way to insert text also? I'd like to have the 4th cell say
    Rejected and turn red if any of the 3 previous cells are out of spec.

    To illustrate (anything over 3 is out of spec for the first cell, 4 for the
    2nd, and 2 for the 3rd.)

    | 4 | 3 | 1 | Rejected |

    The 4 would throw off the entire thing. Now my only problem is that I don't
    know how to "conditionally insert text" as opposed to format. I'm pretty sure
    that excel is inflexible like this and I will have to write a macro or
    something, which is completely useless for the people who are going to be
    using this.

    Thank you for any advice in advance,
    John

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: insert text conditionally and format

    Let's say you three conditions are in cols A,B,C and let's say that over 3 is
    out of spec, then in column D:

    =if((A1<3)*(b1<3)*(C1<3),"","Rejected")
    will give you the result.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    John Sawyer
    Guest

    RE: insert text conditionally and format

    =IF((F145>98)*(G145>44)*(H145>10),"","Rejected")

    I get absolutely nothing from this. The reason I am using these numbers is
    so that I can copy it directly from the table to attempt to show what is
    going wrong. This is the formula directly from the table. I don't get colors
    or the word regardless of what I enter. Any idea?

  4. #4
    John Sawyer
    Guest

    RE: insert text conditionally and format

    Nevermind, I think I've figured it out, and thank you for your help