Formatting Cell Comments

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey

    Formatting Cell Comments

    Is there a way to pre-format cell comments?

    I am using Excel 2000 & 2003 and I'm looking for some sort of option to set the format of cell comments so I don't have to go into each and every comment and format it.

    And I'm not looking to use a macro for this (via PERSONAL.xls workbook).

    Is there a way to do this?
    Thanks
    -Joseph

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Cell Comments

    Cell Comments
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...t.htm#resizing

    also see Debra Dalgleish's page Reset and Resize comments
    http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Reset

    You will have to install the macro in a standard code module
    would suggest you install in your personal.xls
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Cell Comments

    malik641 wrote...
    >Is there a way to pre-format cell comments?
    >
    >I am using Excel 2000 & 2003 and I'm looking for some sort of option to
    >set the format of cell comments so I don't have to go into each and
    >every comment and format it.
    >
    >And I'm not looking to use a macro for this (via PERSONAL.xls
    >workbook).
    >
    >Is there a way to do this?

    Maybe there's a way to do it, but you haven't provided sufficient
    details about the precise formatting you want. Like any rich text entry
    field, there can be one more format than the number of characters in
    the field. If there are no characters, there can be only one format.

    You could use post-entry processing, using HTML-like tags like <b>,
    a macro to parse these tags and apply the indicated formats to the
    bracketted substrings.

    What exactly are you seeking?

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Cell Comments

    oops I see question didn't say resize, but the same two web pages
    cover formatting of cell comments.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Open a worksheet and insert a comment. Then show the comment (if not already shown). And then right-click the edge of the comment, notice the "Format Comment" option. Click that and go to colors and lines. In the color tab you can choose that cool "Fill Effects" feature (e.g. Two colors: Black to white; Shading style "From Center", "No lines", center horizontally and vertically [text], etc, etc). And THAT'S what I'm looking to do. To have ALL the comments that I insert to be formatted with certain colors and certain styles.

    And thanks David for the links, I've checked them out before. I really like Debra's pages at contextures.

    I was kinda hoping that there was some sort of "Advanced" option for the application Excel itself to do this, instead of a macro. I have no problems with macros, if that's what it takes. I was just hoping to make this a little faster

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Cell Comments

    see the first paragraph in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm#font
    for the changes that you can and cannot make in your control settings
    for future comment boxes, and be sure to name your current style
    with a date so that you can return to it rather than trying to recreate it.

    ---

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Cell Comments

    The macros are for changing existing cell comments, to change your
    future cell comments you must change your display settings. You are
    stuck with the Tacoma font as a default by you can change that in
    existing cell comments. See the first paragraph in
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm#font

    You can also look for the word "default" on my ccomment.htm page.

    Spelled out a little bit more about changes to control settings
    (meaning a picture is added) concerning cell comments, you can look
    at John Walkenbach's page
    Excel User Tip: Changing the Default Cell Comment Formatting
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip075.htm
    ---

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Okay, gotcha

    Hey thanks David for all the Links, I'll see what I can mess around with.